Music Music Reviews Muse

Festivals Preview 2014

Our music writers give a preview of the upcoming festivals this summer

bestival 2014-158028783 340x280

Bestival

Bestival It might be at the end of the festival season but in no way should it be forgotten. Established by Radio One DJ and record producer Rob Da Bank, Bestival runs from the 4th to the 7th of September on the Isle of Wight. The festival prides itself on being that little bit different. Along with its diverse range of music, Bestival has become synonymous with fancy dress, with the theme each year injecting an element of the weird and wonderful into the beautiful setting of the Isle of Wight. This year's theme, Desert Island Disco, goes back to the 70's - think makeshift fancy dress in the form of afro wigs and flares all round. In line with this year's theme, the festival is attempting to break the Guiness World Record for the biggest disco ball ever. With music ranging from hip hop to house and pop to techno, Bestival provides something for everyone across its many stages. This year sees the likes of Nile Rodgers featuring Chic, Disclosure, London Grammar and Basement Jaxx take to the stage with more acts still to be announced. Something to look forward to during the weekend is the comeback of Outkast, performing together for the first time in eight years, with DJ sets from Damian Lazarus, Bonobo and legendary house producer Derrick Carter also not to be missed. Grace Marsh

glastonbury 2014

Glastonbury

If you're one of the lucky few who managed to grab a ticket to this years sold-out Glastonbury festival, you will not be left disappointed. This year, the main Pyramid stage will see rock/metal headliners of Metallica, Kasabian and Arcade Fire. As always, this festival will cater for all varieties of taste from the indie rock of Foster the People and Haim, acoustic sets of Ed Sheeran and Jake Bugg, to the country sound of Dolly Parton. Although the main stage is Pyramid, this doesn't limit the best acts to one particular stage. The Sonic Stage will see numerous electronic dance acts such as Gorgon City, Annie Mac and Above & Beyond, whilst the Wow! Stage will feature psychedelic styles of Psychemagik and Jamie xx, with Sigma and Route 94 headlining. Other acts performing include the Kaiser Chefs and London Grammar, Foxes, Blondie, Rudimental, The Black Keys and Lana Del Rey on both the Pyramid and John Peel Stages. With so many diverse acts and such a vast venue, it's clear that the only problem you'll encounter at Glastonbury will be the conflict of two of your favourite acts performing at the same time but on different stages. Abby Bowling

Blackheath

On Blackheath

On Blackheath is a non-camping festival in Southeast London in September. Despite having the least rock and roll sponsor ever, John Lewis, with a lineup as good as this, it'd be difficult to pick one day over the other. Watching Massive Attack perform 'Teardrop' at sunset will be unmissable, especially following up-and-coming singer/songwriter, Aloe Blacc. But the organisers have outdone themselves on the Sunday, with Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls closing the festival, as well as Sheffield-based duo Slow Club, and indie veterans, Athlete. The festival is also a foodie haven, showcasing several celebrity chef displays and loads of street food. Sunday headliner Frank Turner told Nouse why he is looking forward to headlining: 'Festivals are a great way to make new friends, to play for people who might be curious about what you do but not yet totally sold; plus I love being in a field in the summer with a load of people who like music.' Weekend tickets are a pretty reasonably £99, which is not bad for the music and atmosphere on offer. Hatti Linnell

reading and leeds

Reading and Leeds Festival

Arguably the biggest festival in the UK, second only to Glastonbury, Reading and Leeds festivals return this year with a line-up strong enough to kick out any doubts music fans may have had about buying tickets. The organisers have outdone themselves with a quality set of bands on all three days (although the Friday at Reading is significantly weaker than the other two days). Dubious choice of joint headliners Paramore and Queens of the Stone Age are likely to lose a lot of crowd to the superior Courteeners, but there are bands like Vampire Weekend and Twin Atlantic (if you miss them at YUSU Ball) to sustain interest earlier in the day. Saturday is the one most likely to cause arguments between friends as Arctic Monkeys, Jake Bugg, Bombay Bicycle Club and Band of Skulls all compete for prime time audience. Sunday also looks amazing with the Kooks, the 1975, Augustines and the Horrors all performing, not to mention Blink 182 performing for what is rumoured to be the last time. I'm so excited to be stewarding at Reading this year and counting down the days til 22nd August. Hatti Linnell

t in the park

T in the Park

Obviously as one of the biggest festivals that take place in Britain, T in the Park wasn't about to relent this year. Easily the most famous festival that Scotland puts on, last year it astounded with headliners Mumford and Sons, Rihanna and the Killers. This year however, Scottish natives Biffy Clyro are taking the stage along with Calvin Harris, and Arctic Monkeys - three massive artists in their own right and undoubtedly providing enough reason to pick up a weekend ticket.

But that's just the headliners on the Main Stage; T in the Park is bringing in artists with an astounding breadth of talent - probably too many to list off here. The organisers have quite clearly kept an eye on the varying popular bands and artists but have cleverly decided not to just shove all the most popular ones on the Main Stage. Each stage has a compelling variety of popular and talented performers so things don't get 'same-y'.

The Radio 1 Stage, for example, sees the likes of Disclosure, London Grammar, Sam Smith, Bombay Bicycle Club, and Clean Bandit, while King Tut's Tent is going to be host to the likes of Example, Passenger, Ben Howard and CHVRCHES.

With many other artists including Bastille, Kodaline, Pharrell Williams, and Ellie Goulding, it's quite clear that T in the Park is going to be a big player in terms of catering to more than just your conventional festival-goer. This little Scottish haven of music should definitely be appealing to everyone and if you want a festival full of the friendly northerners that cover our great city of York, well there will probably be plenty to find here. Alex killeen

v fest

V Festival

If you are brave enough to take on the crowds then V Festival is the place to be on the 17th and 18th August. When it first started, the festival was mainly rock music based, but in recent years it has become more pop orientated. V festival has fast become one of the largest festivals around Britain with over eighty artists and bands spread over two days.

The festival is looking to be another successful one, now in its 19th year, and will be held at Weston Park and Hylands Park.

The line-up this year provides something for all tastes with there being a lot of hype around this year's headliners Justin Timberlake and The Killers. Other acts include Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Example and Lily Allen. For those more into their dance anthems, Chase & Status will also be making an appearance for a DJ set.

The music will be held over four stages and if you fancy a break from music then there will also be a Glee Club comedy stage which was a huge success last year. Headliners this year are Alan Carr and Adam Hills.

If you listen to chart music and love pop music then V festival is for you! Katie Woodard

somersault

Somersault

One super exciting new festival which is making waves this summer is Somersault in North Devon. The concept is a bit different to others that festival-goers will be used to, with a greater emphasis on a holiday theme and lack of restriction to the surrounding areas of countryside.

The line-up is fantastic for a festival only in its infancy, with headliners Jack Johnson and Ben Howard leading a stellar listing. The festival also features Half Moon Run who impacted the UK charts earlier in the year with 'Full Circle' and BBC Sound of 2014 nominee Nick Mulvey, who will definitely be worth a watch.

The festival is not just about the music though, with a huge list of different activites to get involved in when the music's not playing, including surfing, sailing and mountain biking.

Headline Jack Johnson endorsed the festival, saying, 'I love the UK. I love surfing. So playing a show in the South West is the perfect situation. Somersault sounds like the perfect festival'. Hatti linnell