Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Ten-men Halifax thirds through to Plate semi-final

Derwent saw their thirds team become the college's second team in two days to crash out of the knock-out stages of this year's competition

DERWENT THIRDS 1 - 3 HALIFAX THIRDS
Plate quarter final

[flickr-slideshow tags="halifax3svderwent3s100614" caption="Images: James Hostford"]

Derwent saw their thirds team become the college's second team in two days to crash out of the knock-out stages of this year's competition, as Halifax thirds came out as victors and progressed to the Plate semi-finals.

Against a depleted Derwent side, Ryan Denny took the lead early on before Johnny Stansfield added another. Jack Low pulled one back just before half time, but he had a penalty saved in the second half with Halifax going down to ten men. Derwent inevitably left themselves open in the closing stages and Adam Percy put the game to bed in the final moments as Derwent failed to mount a comeback.

Halifax certainly started as the brighter side and they nearly opened the scoring in the second minute. Will Garrett fired off a wicked low shot that came back into play via the base of the post. The ball fell perfectly for Adam Sample, but he somehow missed an open-goal from ten yards away.

Regardless, Fax continued to pressure Derwent and a deserved early goal final came after five minutes of play. After the ball pinballed around the box from a corner, it eventually fell to the head of Ryan Denny, who confidently nestled it in the top corner.

Derwent's slow start did eventually stir them into life as they managed to get a footbhold on possession, but it meant that neither side were creating many chances for a large chunk of the first half.

Johnny Stansfield, however, changed that shortly before half time. From another corner, the ball fell perfectly to his favourite left foot; Derwent keeper Charlie Cooper got a hand to the shot, but it wasn't enough to stop the powerful strike from rocketing into the net.

It took the conceding of a second goal to finally spur Derwent into life. Almost instantly after the kick off, Jack Low was finally given some room in the box to pick a shot as he fired low past George Maalouf.

After the half time break, Derwent took a hold on possession as they desperately searched for an equaliser. Matt Elvin came closest to scoring after the interval when he fired a towering header towards goal from a corner, but Maalouf moved across goal well to put his body between the ball and the goal-line.

After this great block, Maalouf went from hero, to villain, and back to hero again five minutes later. Low was put through one-on-one against the shotstopper and tried to round the keeper but was brought down by the sprawling arm of Maalouf. Referee Oleg Banesch rightfully awarded a penalty but was strangely hesitant to produce a card, despite already booking a player in the first half.

Low stepped up to the spot-kick but Maalouf fell brilliant to his right to prevent Derwent from equalising. After that, however, something that was said by Halifax defender Jeri McTaggart to the referee seemed to have got under his skin as he produced a yellow card, which was swiftly followed by a red one. Spectators on the sidelines weren't sure whether the official thought that McTaggart had already been booked, or whether he had simply changed his mind.

Regardless, Halifax were down to ten men and Derwent were capable of equalising. Things then got worse for the Lions when their only substitute Tom Wesey picked up an injury and was forced off, meaning that Joe Lawton, who was only there to referee the following game, was forced to come on.

Even with ten men, Halifax were still able to hold on to their slender lead as they continued to frustrate their opposition. Adam Percy then put the game to bed in the closing minutes when he stood up his defender on the edge of the box before cutting inside to the left and fizzing the ball in by the near post.

Derwent: Cooper, Bearn, Tooth, Elvin, Milton, Highland, Connor, Morgan, McGill, Curteis, Low. Subs: O'Dair, Braham
Man of the match: Jack Low

Halifax: Maalouf, McTaggert (sent off), Chastauneuf, Griffiths, Percy, Kershaw, Stansfield, Garrett, Goldthorpe, Denny, Sample. Subs: Wesey, Lawton
Man of the match: Johnny Stansfield