Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Alcuin secure Plate qualification with victory over Langwith

Alcuin seconds secured a place in the Plate stages of the knock-out competition after coming from behind to defeat Langwith thirds 3-1

LANGWITH THIRDS 1 - 3 ALCUIN SECONDS
GROUP B

Alcuin seconds secured a place in the Plate stages of the knock-out competition after coming from behind to defeat Langwith thirds 3-1.

Langwith scored early after Matt Guy followed up a save by goalkeeper Jake Richardson, but Alcuin took the second half by storm and a Ben Carver penalty and goals from Jack McConnel and Matt Twin gave the Owls a resounding and deserved win.

Both sides started the game in high-octane fashion as they both looked to put an early mark on the game. In the first minute, Alcuin striker James Southwell was put through on goal but his powerful shot could only find the crossbar.

The Hes East side then stunned the new JLD when they took the lead just a minute later. Striker David Vasiliu tried a shot from range that was palmed away by Alcuin keeper Jake Richardson, but the ball fell nicely to the feet of Matt Guy who slotted the ball home first time to give his side the lead.

Going behind so early had certainly shocked Alcuin but it also helped to spur them into life. They dominated possession in the first half as Langwith could only look for chances on the break. However, both sides were lacklustre in the final third and shots on goal were few and far between.

Alcuin's intricate and technical football did begin to pay off towards the end of the half, however. A Henry Lonsdale shot forced a fine save from Langwith shot-stopper Steve Le Cornu and Southwell's follow-up shot was miraculously blocked on the line before the ball was smothered up by a relieved Le Cornu.

The Owls carried this form into the second half and, suddenly, chances were coming for them thick and fast; Toumazou narrowly missed a header at the far post from a corner, whilst Southwell tested the keeper shortly after from a free kick.

Alcuin finally found their deserved equaliser in the 41st minute when they were awarded a penalty via a Dan Robbins hand ball. After referee Josh Mangham chose a place for the spot-kick to be taken from because the new JLD was strangely absent of a penalty spot for football matches, substitute Ben Carver stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way and level the score-line.

It took just another minute for Alcuin to then give themselves the lead. After they pressed the Langwith defence well as a team, Tom Simpson won the ball and put through McConnel who, after some silky footwork, smashed the ball past Le Cornu to make it 2-1.

Chances continued to come for Alcuin as a Carver header from a corner forced another save from Le Cornu whilst the clever footwork of McConnel and Matt Twin caused chaos for the Langwith defence.

Langwith, however, weren't going down without a fight and they nearly found an equaliser in the final ten minutes of the game when Tom Rudden nearly tucked the ball in at the near post after Alcuin failed to clear their lines from a corner.

They had another golden opportunity five minutes later when a Vasiliu header was clawed off the line by Richardson before being headed away as far as Langwith substitute Sep Gohardani, but he couldn't smother the ball into goal at the far post.

Alcuin then put the game to bed with just two minutes left on the clock. A Carver flicked header from a goal kick found the run of Stephen Harget on the left, who played the ball across goal to Twin; the right-winger beat Matt Emmett to the ball as he toe-poked Alcuin to a 3-1 victory.

The result leaves Langwith rooted to the bottom of Group B as they are yet to register a point in this year's campaign. Meanwhile, Alcuin now have a big enough points gap over Goodricke thirds to secure Plate qualification by finishing in the top four.

Langwith: Le Cornu, Waters (C), Rudden, Robbins (Shevchenko), Emmett, Billings (Gohardani), Chalker, Guy, Wright, Hazell (Gibb), Vasiliu
Man of the match: David Vasiliu

Alcuin: Richardson, Kennick (C), Pickar, Toumazou, Perrara, Harget, Pearce, Londale, McConnel, Twin, Southwell (Carver)
Man of the match: Matt Twin

The Ref Posted on Friday 6 Dec 2019

Was never a penalty, match fixing made me give it

Plate Posted on Friday 6 Dec 2019

The 5th place team go through to the Vase, Alcuin have guaranteed Plate qualification.