Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Alcuin humbled by devastating Derwent

In what was initially perceived to be an even match between two thirds teams, Derwent thirds pulled away in emphatic style from the men in red, crushing a despondent Alcuin thirds side 7-0

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

ALCUIN THIRDS 0 - 7 DERWENT THIRDS
Group D

[flickr-slideshow tags="alcuin3sderwent3s290514" caption="Images: James Hostford"]

In what was initially perceived to be an even match between two thirds teams, Derwent thirds pulled away in emphatic style from the men in red, crushing a despondent Alcuin thirds side 7-0. Throughout the game, Derwent were the far superior side as Alcuin failed to look threatening.

Derwent came out of the blocks the faster team, retaining possession with ease and forcing Alcuin to chase the ball for the opening five minutes. Derwent opened the scoring with their first real attack of the game. A long ball played up the pitch was brought down by Jack Low with a sublime touch, after letting the ball bounce he volleyed a sweet strike past Alcuin keeper Jake Richardson to give Derwent a 1-0 lead.

Richardson, who was to endure a torrid time in the net throughout the rest of the match soon saw another shot sail into the back of his net. A long throw in from the right by Sven Sabas, was headed in by Low who bagged his and Derwent's second goal of the game.

Shortly after scoring their second goal, Derwent added a third. The ball fell to Jules Delay on the left who laid the ball off for Sabas, who was in a more central position. Sabas then fired a volley past Richardson to score his first goal of the game and extend Derwent's lead to three goals.

With just over half of the first half played it appeared that Derwent had started scoring goals for fun as left back Alex Milton joined in on the act. Milton who collected the ball inside Alcuin's half on the left wing, switched the ball to his right foot and fired a well-placed curling ball into the box which ended up beating Richardson at his far post, giving Derwent a 4-0 lead.

Derwent soon added a fifth. Delay hit a low cross from the left wing, which several Alcuin defenders failed to intercept and clear, leading to right winger Adam Highland slotting in his side's fifth goal from close range at the back post.

Alcuin had a chance from a corner before the half time whistle, the corner, whipped in from the right, fell to James Homer at the back post. Homer laid the ball back to Jacob Burge who struck a curling shot with the outside of his right foot. Unfortunately his effort, despite looking promising, went over the bar.

However, Derwent were not finished yet as they added a sixth goal just before the half time whistle was blown. Low found himself with space in the middle of the Alcuin half and after advancing with the ball hit a powerful shot which keeper Richardson could only parry away However, his parry fell into the path of Sabas, who finished well to give Derwent a 6-0 lead at half time.

After a goal-fuelled first half it was inevitable that the second half wouldn't quite match the excitement of the first. However, Derwent's Joe Kirby hit a wonder goal that sent the JLD crowd into chaos. After the ball was played into Kirby's feet, he took on an ambitious shot from about thirty five yards out. His ambition paid off and his shot rocketed into the back of the Alcuin net looping over Richardson to extend Derwent's lead to seven goals.

The rest of the half was fairly uneventful with the final score seemingly decided. One notable event was an impressive long ranged shot hit by Alcuin's Homer from about thirty five yards out. However, his effort sailed wide of the far post and in the end came to nothing.

After the match, an injured Nick Burke, Derwent captain told Nouse, "We tactically outclassed them in every department, they were pretty terrible and we were brilliant. Hopefully, we can go on and win the Plate or Vase."

Meanwhile, Dylan Chambers, Alcuin captain had very little to say after his side's heavy loss, merely commenting, "That was awful."

Alcuin: Richardson, Kaube, Carney, Bentham, Hesselgren, Homer, Burge, Bennell, Chambers (C), Pearce, Matthews. Subs: Page.
Man of the Match: Dean Bennell.

Derwent: Cooper, Rearn, Tooth, Connor, Milton, Highland, Delay, Arkle, Kirby, Low, Sabas. Subs: Bearn, Bradshaw, Hollis.
Man of the Match: Joe Kirby.

Latest in Football

2 Comments

Aidan football Posted on Friday 30 May 2014

Omg 50 articles well done Lou Lou.
It's amazing you've overcome your affiliction and blossomed into a fantastic young journalist. Your fab p.s I'm sure the rash will clear up

ADamle leo Posted on Thursday 26 Dec 2019

Thanks for the help na, edfectivel