Football Top Sport Story College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Wentworth secure Cup qualification with Halifax thrashing

Wentworth secured Cup qualification with a resounding win over Halifax seconds in the first match of today's fixtures on the old JLD

HALIFAX SECONDS 1 - 5 WENTWORTH FIRSTS
Group D

[flickr-slideshow tags="halifax2swentworth1s290514" caption="Images: James Hostford"]

Wentworth secured Cup qualification with a resounding win over Halifax seconds in the first match of today's fixtures on the old JLD.

After a slow start, Wentworth took the lead after a Wayne Paes header, whilst Dan Bawdon also picked up a brace on top of goals from Ciaran Kohli-Lynch and Colin Gibson. An Ollie Marsh header proved to be the only response from a Halifax side that weren't at the races today.

Despite the final score-line, Halifax actually started the game brighter as Wentworth were slow to react to their fast start to the game. In the very first minute, Fax could have opened the scoring when George Waring latched his head onto a Joe Knott long throw but they attempt on goal could only find the crossbar.

This early shock spurred Wentworth into life as their central midfield three of Chris Papoui, Wayne Paes and Dan Bawden began to dictate play, which they did succinctly for the rest of the game.

The postgrads, in their first threatening piece of attacking play of the match, broke the deadlock on eight minutes when Sam Nedley helped put Ciaran Kohli-Lynch through on the right, who picked out the head of Paes with expert precision as the side's captain gave Wentworth the lead.

The goal continued to give Wentworth the confidence to control possession and it came as no surprise when they doubled their lead after 17 minutes. Ben Keane won a free kick close to Halifax's by-line and Bawdon's low delivery was blocked at the near post, but Kohli-Lynch was able to turn and smash the ball home via the crossbar.

Halifax then shot themselves in the foot when they allowed the score to stretch to 3-0 just two minutes later. After conceding a free kick by the half-way line, a Ben Cox deliver found Bawdon in front of goal after Fax's defence had completely switched off as Bawdon tucked the ball into goal from just a few yards out.

Wentworth knew that an early Halifax goal could change the dynamic of the game in the second half and the postgrads were certainly worried when Ollie Marsh pulled a goal back for his side early shortly after the restart. A Knott free-kick from deep found the head of the looming centre-back at the far post.

However, Wentworth silenced any chance of a Fax comeback when they regained their three-goal cushion just a minute later. On the right side, a close and clever pass by Nedley put Bawdon through on goal who, from a tight angle, succinctly slotted the ball into goal via the far post.

Halifax continued to look for something out of the game as they pumped several balls into the box but, with the immensely-tall Waring having been substituted off, their chances of picking up any goals were somewhat diminished.

Wentworth closed the day's scoring in the 48th minute when Halifax keeper Joe Locke misjudged a high bouncing ball played into the box by Paes, which allowed Colin Gibson to nip in behind and tuck in the postgrads' fifth goal of the afternoon.

After the match, a delighted Wentworth captain Wayne Paes told Nouse, "It was an absolutely brilliant performance. Once we scored the three goals, they were always going to be chasing it so credit to the whole team for keeping going for the whole match".

Halifax: Locke, Marsh, Bull, Kearney, Hobson, Knott, Collins, Goldthorpe, Dunning, Miller, Waring (Kendrick-Brajou)
Man of the match: Henry Collins

Wentworth: Sowdani, Cox, Parker, Kosunalp, Keane, Gibson (Cukorova), Paes (C), Papoui, Bawdon, Nedley, Kohli-Lynch (Mangham)
Man of the match: Dan Bawdon

Mr Wentworth Posted on Saturday 14 Dec 2019

Well played Wendy