Football College Cup Sport

Wentworth narrowly miss out on points in tense match

Halifax thirds temporarily moved to the top of Group C after a Chris Forrest goal proved the be the only difference between the two sides in a game that could have gone either way.

WENTWORTH SECONDS 0 - 1 HALIFAX THIRDS
Group C

[flickr-slideshow tags="halifax3swentworth2s260514" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

Both teams started playing the fluid, passing football that both colleges are renowned for but, as the half went on, Fax slowly took a foothold on possession and looked the much stronger side.

Fax's left winger Adam Percy was having the best of his side's chances; after sending one shot straight at the goalkeeper, he could have put his side ahead after ten minutes when postgrad keeper Matt Taylor spilled a low ball into his path but Percy could only direct his shot on open goal wide of the post.

Wouter van Ravenhorst did have a shot for Wentworth when they attacked on a rare break, but Halifax were enjoying the majority of possession as their central midfielders continued to dictate play.

After Percy skied another chance to give his side the lead with ten minutes of the first half to play, Halifax finally found a deserved goal on the stroke of half time.

Percy worked the ball well to Chris Forrest on the edge of the D, who, for the first time in the game, was given room to pick out his shot as he curled the ball into the bottom left corner past a helpless goalkeeper.

Going a goal behind spurred Wentworth into life in the second half. Suddenly the tides had turned and now Wentworth were dictating play to Halifax after the postgrads moved to a 4-4-2 formation.

Ten minutes into the half, Josh Mangham sent substitute Jon Cook through on goal on the left, but his shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Fax keeper George Maalouf, before he somehow blocked the ball at the near post from the resulting corner. Chris Papoui's shot several minutes later could only be directed straight at the goalkeeper.

The postgrads continued to look for an equaliser that they probably deserved based on their second half performance, and they were denied one in the final minute of the game in the most dramatic of circumstances.

Wentworth pushed everyone into the box, including the keeper, for a corner which came back into play in front of goal off the crossbar. Goalkeeper Matt Taylor notched his head onto it as the JLD thought that he had pulled off a miracle.

However, the ball was blocked off the line at the near post from what looked like a Maradona-esque header. However, the referee failed to award a penalty and Halifax breathed a sigh of relief when the final whistle blew seconds later.

A frustrated Wentworth captain, Josh Mangham, told Nouse, "I'm not happy with the ref. They're a really good 3's team but we played well and could have won at the end. The ref made a shit call and I'm not happy with him".

Halifax captain Jonny Stansfield said rather diplomatically of last-minute contested decision, "I missed that, I couldn't comment. The first half we were spot on but we started to be a little scrappy in the second half, which we need to improve on. But another clean sheet and we're still unbeaten; we can't really complain".

Wentworth: Taylor, Ngondi (Hulme), Lomas (Cook), Nicolaou, Kosunalp, Sowdani, Papoui, Mangham (C), Townson, van Ravenhorst, Banesch

Man of the match: Gerard Ekembe Ngondi

Halifax: Maalouf, Nolan, Rillstone, Kearney, Chasteauneuf (McTaggert), Garratt, Forrest, Grittiths, Percy, Stansfield (C), Sample
Man of the match: George Maalouf