Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Two late goals snatch victory from the hands of Wentworth

Wentworth thirds were denied their first win of the campaign after James seconds cruelly pulled off a miraculous victory by scoring twice in the final five minutes

JAMES SECONDS 2 - 1 WENTWORTH THIRDS
Group A

[flickr-slideshow tags="james2swentworth3s270514" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

Wentworth thirds were denied their first win of the campaign after James seconds cruelly pulled off a miraculous victory by scoring twice in the final five minutes.

After James failed to turn possession into goals in the first half, Wouter van Ravenhorst took advantage of a goalkeeping error to give the postgrads the lead. However, a late Tom Wheldon tap-in and an even later (and contentious) Jordan Steel penalty gave James the three points.

James were missing a large chunk of their because of exams, but their sporting pedigree as a college shone nonetheless as they dominated possession in the opening stages.

Wentworth's centre-back pairing of Dan Horsfall and Matt Taylor, however, provided an excellent blockade to James' advances, which meant that the likes of Ralph Gill, Ameer Alhasan and Jordan Steel were limited to shots from range, none of which could find the target.

The postgrads, on the other hand, were failing to make their moments of possession pay off as they struggled in the final third; Horsfall missed a header from a corner on fifteen minutes in their earliest chance.

As James continued to struggle to break down Horsfall in defence, who Kallum Taylor described as a "fence on legs", they looked more and more culpable on the break. Wouter van Ravenhorst forced a good save from James keeper Andy Lake in the later stages of the half, as did Kimi Chen with a low shot towards the near post.

James' lack of second-team players at the back was more telling in the second half as Wentworth put them under a lot more pressure as they upped their tempo.

Van Ravenhorst then gave his side the lead just four minutes after the restart when he dispossessed the goalkeeper, who had been sold short by a risky pass back. Van Ravenhorst had to make a difficult turn to find a shot on goal, but he expertly created some room for himself and fired a wicked shot passed a helpless Lake.

James instantly looked to react as they searched for cracks in Wentworth's stalwart defence and they nearly forced an equalizer just five minutes after going behind.

Substitute Jamie Allen dispossessed Taylor the Wentworth's half before the squaring the ball to Alhasan in the D, but Horsfall came in with a well-timed block. Allen then hit the target with a header from the resulting corner, but the ball was cleared off the line.

Wentworth had certainly been worth their while in the second half but James' late efforts on goal showed that they were due a equalizer from what had been a well-matched game as the Wentworth defence finally gave way.

On 54 minutes, Alhasan slammed the ball off the crossbar from a free kick before Matt Hosier fired a shot into the post.

Just when James thought that their luck had run out, Tom Wheldon managed to tap-in a loose ball after Wentworth keeper Dave Coggan spilled the ball into his path after saving an Allen shot.

To add insult to injury, James snatched the full three points off the postgrads in the final minute. After a melee in the box, referee Joe Mann decreed that a Wentowrth player had handled the ball in the area, much to their disbelief. Jordan Steel stepped up with a composed finish from the spot to give his side the victory.

A somewhat sheepish James captain, Ameer Alhasan, told Nouse after the game, " I don't think we deserved anything from that, I think that's fair to say. To our credit, we stuck in their and we kept plugging away and in the end we got lucky with two goals."

James: Lake, Williams, Embleton, Payne (Allen), Steel, Beaglehole, Baker, Alhasan (C), Gill, Weldon, Hosier
Man of the match: Ralph Gill

Wentworth: Coggan (C), Horsfall, Townson, Pollard, Taylor, Kimi (Utebayev), van Ravenhorst, Franks, Mangham, Sowdani, Berry (Austin)
Man of the match: Wouter van Ravenhorst