Fashion Fashion Features Muse

DO try this at home

There are plenty of beauty care methods that you can use at home without having to spend a penny of that precious loan. We've gathered a few of the most weird and wonderful DIY beauty tips.

Detox Teamakeupcloseface
Why limit the miraculous beauty benefits of green tea to the mug? After you've slurped your way through breakfast, leave your tea bags to cool and set them on your eyes for a minute or so. Your housemates might give you strange looks but you'll be blissfully blinded by Twining's and looking fabulous post-application. Running low on skincare essentials and feeling in need of a little rejuvenation? Green tea can make a great exfoliator. Brew 1 green tea bag in a cup filled 1/3 with water. Leave until lukewarm. Mix 1 tbsp of the liquid with 3 tbsp of sugar. The sugar will not dissolve.

Oil Pulling
Oil Pulling is an alternative to throwing unpronounceable chemicals around your mouth in the hope of whiter teeth. This new method achieves this whilst aiding absorption of vital vitamins. A cheap, quick fix solution to every problem, hallaluah. Use around a tablespoon of oil (coconut oil for all the lovely vitamins, but any other oil like olive will do fine) and move it around your mouth like mouth wash for around 15 minutes and then spit out. Repeat every day for 2 weeks. Supposedly the oil pulls out the toxins from your mouth and saliva, helping you achieve the white teeth you've always dreamed of. Scientific research on this natural treatment is lacking - but there's no harm in trying and it is a cheaper and healthier method than any other alternative out there.

Serene Vaseline
Often called out as the impressionist of nail painters, the trusty tub of Vaseline is here to help. A quick swab around the nail pre-lacquer and a subsequent swipe post-polish will ensure that your nails don't fall victim to an unsteady hand (be that bus-provoked, exam stress-induced or otherwise). Alternatively take to your face with the stuff. Surprise Skype call from the parents? Fake that warm, dewy, library-exhausted glow by mixing the jelly with a dash of lipstick and applying the concoction atop your cheekbones and brows for an instantaneous blush.

Aspir-skin
The wonders of Aspirin. Yes I know what you're thinking, "we've heard it all before": Toothpaste, TCP, tea tree...the list of ways to treat spots is endless. But I wonder if you've ever tried bashing up an aspirin, mixing it with water and applying to said spot? It works like a dream. Aspirin is anti-inflammatory (making it look less red) and it contains salicylic acid - the fancy stuff they put in expensive spot treatments. You can also use multiple aspirins to make a cheap and easy facemask. Just leave on for around 10 minutes and you'll be amazed by the results. Perfect for exam stressed skin. It also works for boys with ingrowing beard hairs. It's an all round superstar product and a packet is less than a pound.

Voluminous Hair
With winter behind us, our hair may have kept some of the dull dryness from all of the cold weather. Get ready for summer with these food based hair treatments. To add shine: Orange + Honey. Squeeze an orange and mix the juice with some honey. Lather on head and leave on for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse off and shampoo as usual... then shine! To repair damage: Egg + Olive Oil. Thoroughly mix one egg with some olive oil. Lather on your hair and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse off and shampoo hair as usual. To volumize: Beer + Water. Mix together 3 parts beer with 1 part warm water and soak hair mixture for at least 15 minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual for hair-raising volume!