Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Fax claim a vital three points off Vanbrugh

A last minute Halifax winner saw them clinch three points in a vital win that levels the playing field out in Group B

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

HALIFAX FIRSTS 2-1 VANBRUGH FIRSTS
Group B

A last minute Halifax winner saw them clinch three points in a vital win that levels the playing field out in Group B. Garo Heath's strike denied Vanbrugh a point, who despite being on the back foot for the vast majority of the match, will be disappointed not to have taken away a point.

The first real chance of the game fell to Heath about ten minutes into the first half. Kieran Gennoy's free kick ricocheted off the Vanbrugh wall back into Gennoy's feet. Gennoy shifted the ball to the left wing where Heath took on an ambitious shot with his right foot which curled just over the bar.

Vanbrugh were not starved of chances in the first half though, despite the fact that Halifax continued to press them high up the pitch giving the Vanbrugh players little time on the ball.

Matt Graham played a neat ball into Joe Lund on the left wing, who laid the ball off first time into the middle of the park for Harry O'Brien to strike. O'Brien's strike fizzed past the far post of the Halifax goal.

Matt Seed's persistent work down the right lead to Halifax's opening goal. After a good run down the right wing, beating Vanbrugh left wing back Jack Coy, Seed delivered a cross which threatened the Vanbrugh goal and required a good save from Callum Lennox who tipped the ball over the bar for a Halifax corner.

The subsequent corner was whipped into the Vanbrugh box and after sailing over the heads of the players in the box, fell to Seed on the left. Seed delivered a low cross which was met by an incoming Connor Meckin who slotted past Lennox at the near post to give Halifax the lead.

Vanbrugh were continually put under pressure by Halifax who looked very strong going forward. A Gio Pilides free kick hit the bar before Heath had a chance, hitting a curling shot with his right foot that eventually drifted wide of the far post.

Vanbrugh could have then equalised with O'Brien's stunning effort on goal. After finding space in the middle of the Halifax half, O'Brien hit a thunderous shot with his left foot from about thirty five yards out, which ended up clipping the bar before going out of play.

Vanbrugh striker Liam Sides could have also equalised after being put clean through on goal thanks to a nicely weighted Johnny Grout through ball. However, Sim snuffled out the danger after coming out from his line too quickly for Sides, who failed to get his shot away in time. The half time score remained with Halifax in the lead by one goal.

Heath had a chance ten minutes into the second half to double Halifax's lead after being put clean through on goal, despite Vanbrugh protests for offside. Heath went one on one with Lennox, only for his shot to be denied by the near post. Connor Brennan and Max Brewer then both picked up yellow cards, Brennan for dissent and Brewer for a slide tackle on the JLD surface.

Gennoy then had a chance to head Halifax over the line after a lofted cross from the left wing was put in by Dan Jones. Gennoy's header however went wide of the far post.

Vanbrugh then managed to grab an equaliser. After a free kick was awarded against Halifax for a hand ball, O'Brien stepped up to take the set piece. He hit a low curling shot from outside the edge of the Halifax area, which sailed into the net at the far post to level the scores.

However, Vanbrugh's joy was short lived as yet another set piece was converted, which decided the final score line of the match in the final minute. Gennoy's out swinging corner from the right travelled towards the back post and eventually fell to Heath in the Vanbrugh area who struck the ball upwards into the Vanbrugh net to give Halifax the win, with the final score seeing Halifax claim a 2-1 win.

After the match, Connor McCoy, Halifax captain, told Nouse, "We needed to step up our performance and I felt we did that. Their only chance, they have scored it, [from] a free kick, other than that I don't think they threatened much. They have kept two clean sheets so far, so it was good to get two goals. We will build on that and next week we need a solid performance against Goodricke 3rds and I think we are better than Derwent 2nds so if we play well in that game, we'll go top of the group, so I can't complain really."

Meanwhile, a disappointed Max Brewer, Vanbrugh captain, spoke to Nouse on his reaction to the last minute Halifax winner, " [It] feels like a real kick in the balls to concede from a set piece in the last minute, but the College Cup comes down to set pieces, it does every year. There were three today and we lost two them and scored one of them. We will take the positives away, we can still get out of this group no problem."

Halifax: Sim, Howarth, Brookes, Kearney, Seed, Bowden, Pilides, Gennoy, Meckin, Jones, Heath. Subs: Dunning, Bull.
Man of the Match: Connor Meckin

Vanbrugh: Lennox, Graham, Brewer, Brennan, Coy, Wignall, O'Brien, Lund, Grout, Sides, Rous Ross. Subs: Picknell.
Man of the Match: Harry O'Brien

Latest in Football

4 Comments

ItalianStalian Posted on Thursday 22 May 2014

I have a feeling Gio took the free kick that hit the bar? Also surprised his nutmeg didn't get mentioned ;)

Lewis Hill Posted on Thursday 22 May 2014

Changed now, apologies.

Observer Posted on Thursday 22 May 2014

Worth Highlighting that Halifax are actually on 7 points not 5, they beat Langwith 4-0 which hasn't been acknowledged!!!!

Blame Jamie Summers for that one! That is in the process of being changed.