Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Goodricke seal solid victory over Vanbrugh

Goodricke firsts needed the three points in this game having failed to win their opening two matches, and did so by thrashing Vanbrugh seconds 4-1 on the JLD

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

GOODRICKE FIRSTS 4-1 VANBRUGH SECONDS
Group C

[flickr-slideshow tags="vanbrugh2sgoodricke1s200514" caption="Images: James Hostford"]

It was a must win game for Goodricke firsts. Having previously drawn their last two games, the Heslington East side needed to take all three points in a clash against an unbeaten Vanbrugh seconds side. Thankfully for Goodricke, a Dalton Harris brace sealed the win.

The opening five minutes of the match were characterised by several waves of Goodricke attacks. Jonathan Gillbanks, had a couple of early chances to open the scoring. The first was from a long shot outside the edge of the area which crept wide of the far post and the second came from a deflected corner which was ultimately saved by Vanbrugh keeper Aaron Hooper.

Goodricke continued to pile the pressure onto Vanbrugh, who did well to cope with a series of good passages of play from Goodricke's attacking players. Mid-way through the first half, Gillbanks put a perfectly weighted through ball into Fabian Ashurst on the left, who subsequently put in a very dangerous ball into the Vanbrugh box, which could have so easily have been met with a header into the back of the net were it not for Mark Williams' vital interception.

Goodricke nearly took the lead on the twenty minute mark through a Gillbanks corner. The out swinging corner fell to Sam Cottingham whose low hard strike looked set to cross the line of the Vanbrugh goal at the far post, until Elliot Glanvill provided a vital clearance to the side lines to deny the Goodricke midfielder the opener.
Vanbrugh's first real chance of the game came from a corner not two minutes later. The ball in from the right met the head of Williams who powered the ball towards the top left hand corner of the net but was denied a goal thanks to a last-ditch headed clearance.

Eventually, Goodricke broke the deadlock and grabbed a well-deserved opening goal. Full back James Lewis hit a fast, drilled ball into the area from the right wing. With a Goodricke player behind him, Charles Frobisher tried to clear with the dangerous ball behind the goal but unfortunately his attempted clearance sailed into the roof of the net past a helpless Hooper giving Goodricke the lead.

Soon after, Goodricke doubled their tally. Mann played the ball into Harris in the middle of the Vanbrugh half. Harris switched the ball to his foot and fired a shot that kept low, passing under Hooper and into the back of the Vanbrugh net to make the half time score line 2-0 to Goodricke.

After half time, both teams rallied once more but it was Vanbrugh that grabbed the first goal of the second half. Liam Craine put in a delightful out swinging corner from the left which met the boot of an incoming Frobisher who atoned for his earlier mistake, firing the ball past Goodricke keeper Tom Neill to claw a goal back for Vanbrugh.

Vanbrugh could have had an equaliser moments later. Midfielder Connor Brennan, who had impressed all afternoon, found Adam Jerelle Lewis in plenty of space on the left wing with a neat pass. Lewis cut in from the wing, but hit his shot just wide of the near post. Shortly after, Vanbrugh made two substitutions as Liam Sides made way for Callum Priest whilst Craine left the pitch for Tom Siddle.

Vanbrugh had another couple of chances to equaliser through Matthew Potts. The first came from a long shot which was comfortably saved by Neill. The second came from a free kick. Potts swung in a dangerous ball towards the back post from the left wing which had to be dealt with by Neill, who punched clear the danger.

Despite Vanbrugh's chances, the Goodricke players maintained cool heads and eventually added to their lead.

Harris, after taking a good first touch after he received a long ball from defender Chris Osborne, turned in to the left and hit his shot past Hooper to add Goodricke's third.

The fifth and final goal of the afternoon was scored by Mann. Gillbanks played a pass into Mann on the right wing. Mann, after cutting in from the wing, was allowed plenty of space on the edge of the Vanbrugh area to shoot, with his shot creeping under Hooper, who will feel aggrieved not to have saved the shot. The final score finished with Goodricke beating Vanbrugh 4-1 after a confident display.

After the match, Goodricke captain Jonathan Gillbanks spoke to Nouse saying, "I'm pleased with the performance really. We reacted well after the first two results, we got on the ball and we dominated from the start really. We had loads of possession, it took us a while to get the first goal, but we got it in the end. We settled and then reacted well when we did concede a goal, so I'm pretty pleased with it."

Meanwhile, Vanbrugh captain Jack Coy, after donning his best French accent, had this to say to Nouse, "Bonjour, je m'appelle Jacque, le match c'etait super. Goodricke, I don't know but I think, they were, I think they were football you know and it is always tough to take. You know? How do you say, it was a game of deux halves. At le end of the day... I did not see le incident but at le end of the day, how do you say, it was le foot."

Goodricke: Neill, J Lewis, Osborne, Olsen, Crawley, Mann, Boyle, Cottingham, Ashurst, Gillbanks, Harris.
Man of the Match: Dalton Harris

Vanbrugh: Hooper, Glanvill, Frobisher, Williams, Coy, Brennan, Potts, Sanderson, Craine, Sides, A Lewis. Subs used: Siddle, Priest.

Man of the Match: Connor Brennan

Latest in Football