Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Halifax see off James in thirds team clash

A sterling second half performance from Halifax thirds took a vital three points from their James counterparts in a 2-0 victory

HALIFAX THIRDS 2 - 0 JAMES THIRDS
Group C

A sterling second half performance from Halifax thirds took a vital three points from their James counterparts in a 2-0 victory, putting the fledgling Fax team temporarily at the top of Group C.

However, the opening stages of the match lacked any clear-cut chances, but James were playing some fluid football in the middle of the park and certainly looked the brighter side; their attacking front three of James Spilsbury, Jamie Allen and Andreas Boedt were looking particular threatening.

The lacklustre start from both teams sadly meant that chances were restricted to shots from range, With Fax's Adam Sample and James' Richard Williams wasting opportunities.

Halifax thought they had a penalty in the twenty-second minute when they were denied what looked like a blatant hand ball in the D. But the ref allowed play to continue and James broke as Williams played a fast cross to Boedt waiting on the other side of the D, however his shot was miraculously blocked off the line.

Fax finished the half as the stronger with Kearney and Kershaw missing good chances in front of goal, and they carried this form into the second half as the looked by far the better team.

After substitute Manuel Holtmann missed a half-volley in the opening few minutes, Halifax hit back straight back from the goal kick as James' defence were caught napping. Adam Percy shot was well saved by James keeper Andrew McNally but it could only be spilled into the path of Johnnie Stansfield who finished well on the right from a tight angle to give his side the lead.

Halifax continued to look the better attacking side as they looked to double their lead. Kershaw hit the post in the fourtieth minute, but the Lions wouldn't have to wait long before they found their second goal.

Three minutes later, in the simplest of fashions, a Chris Forrest corner found the head of centre-back Tom Rillstone, who slammed the ball into the back of the net to put the Swans 2-0 down.

In the latter stages, James continued to rue missed chances as Holtmann headed over in front of goal, before Boedt sent a powerful volley over the bar in a game where they failed to fully test Fax shotstopper Tom Blessed.

Halifax: Blessed, Nolan, Rillstone, Kearney, Chastenuneuf, Percy, Forrest, McTaggert, Kershaw, Standfield (C), Sample. Subs: Garrett, Lockey, McNeill
Man of the match: Adam Percy

James: McNally, Ashcroft, Steel, Lane, Clay, Boedt, Lawson, Williams, Spilsbury, Hosier, Allen. Subs: Holtmann, Bartlett
Man of the match: Andreas Boedt