Web Exclusives News

Former University worker Michael Snelling arrested on suspicion of killing Claudia Lawrence

Ex University of York worker suspected of murdering University chef Claudia Lawrence

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

The man who was arrested today on suspicion of murdering Claudia Lawrence has been named as Michael Snelling.

The 59-year-old, who is thought to have also previously worked at the University of York, was arrested this morning at a relative's house in North Shields. His property in Burnholme Grove, York, is currently being searched by forensics.

Police have been investigating the circumstances of Claudia Lawrence's death since her disappearance on 18 March in 2009. Lawrence was a chef at the University of York and lived in Heworth.

A Crimewatch appeal stated that the police were searching for a 6ft tall white man aged 55-65 who was seen at Lawrence's front door the day she vanished.

North Yorkshire police have not ruled out further arrests and have reiterated that her body has not been found. Forensics are likely to continue investigating Snelling's house for a number of days. A car has also been seized and Lawrence's family have been notified.

Anyone with information is urged to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, selecting Option 1, and passing on the details to the Force Control Room by quoting "Claudia Lawrence" before doing so.

Latest in Web Exclusives

7 Comments

Babbage Twelve Posted on Tuesday 13 May 2014

"University worker Michael Snelling", "is thought to have also worked at the University of York"

How sure are we of that? Quite a big claim to make if as of yet unsubstantiated.

Brendon Posted on Tuesday 13 May 2014

Nouse is such tabloid trash. Provocative headline with no substantiation. Good work team!

Media Law Posted on Tuesday 13 May 2014

"A University of York worker" - according to who?

buffetlegs Posted on Wednesday 14 May 2014

whom

Mike Childs Posted on Wednesday 14 May 2014

He used to work in the Biology department as a non-teaching member of staff.

efe Posted on Wednesday 14 May 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10828881/Claudia-Lawrence-investigation-friend-of-the-missing-chef-is-arrested-on-suspicion-of-her-murder.html

Anon Posted on Friday 16 May 2014

A smokescreen! An effort to show some progress ,but pathetic, This suspect released .