Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Derwent confidently breeze past Alcuin

Derwent seconds continued their excellent start to their College Cup campaign with a solid 3-0 victory over Alcuin seconds

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

DERWENT SECONDS 3-0 ALCUIN SECONDS
Group B

[flickr-slideshow tags="derwent2alcuin2120514" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

Derwent 2nds continued their excellent start to their College Cup campaign, building on their 9-1 win over Goodricke 3rds with a slightly more understated, yet nonetheless solid 3-0 victory over a determined Alcuin 2nds side.

The opening stages of the match were largely uneventful, with both teams looking to retain possession long enough in order to build some pressure in the opposing half. The first half-chance of the match fell to Alcuin's Carl Pickar. After an out swinging Alcuin corner from the right, the ball fell to Pickar on the edge of the area, Pickar's resulting curling shot was a good effort on goal, just narrowly missing the target.

Derwent had their first real chance of the game through a free kick, after Sven Sabas was barged off the ball. Alex D'Albertanson struck a powerful free kick which was on target and required a last minute save from Alcuin keeper Harry Smith.

Later in the half, Derwent had another good chance to open the scoring. A quick free kick taken on the left wing saw the ball switched to Sam Weighall on the right wing. Weighall provided a nicely weighted ball into the box from a deep crossing position. His ball in was met by the head of Tom Shelbourn who was unlucky not to hit the back of the net with his header, which he powered wide.

A couple of minutes later, Weighall opened the scoring for Derwent with a phenomenal individual effort. After collecting the ball just outside his own half, Weighall charged down the right wing beating three Alcuin defenders. He drove ahead into the Alcuin box and fired a placed shot into the far corner of the Alcuin net, giving Derwent a 1-0 lead. The score line remained 1-0 at half time.

Similar to the first half, the opening stages of the second half were largely uneventful as both teams settled back into the game. D'Albertanson, who had threatened all afternoon, looking lively across the pitch, managed to force Alcuin into conceding a corner which was subsequently squandered as Derwent captain Michael Whittall headed over.

However, Whittall made up for his miss by converting a D'Albertanson free kick. The free kick was powered in towards the near post from the left wing and was met by an unmarked Whittall who guided the ball into the net, doubling Derwent's lead.

Shortly after the second goal, an almighty hailstorm set upon the JLD. The crowd and players alike were clearly ungrateful and unimpressed with the change of weather, with many retreating into the dugout. However, before the game was brought to a close on a rain-soaked JLD, Derwent added a third.

D'Albertanson once again provided for his team, this time chipping a lovely lofted through ball over the last line of the Alcuin defence for Joe Eyles to chase. Eyles then opened his body up, bending his shot just inside the far post of the Alcuin goal to take the final score to 3-0 to Derwent.

After the match, defeated Alcuin captain Peter Kennick spoke to Nouse saying: "It was a disappointing result but Derwent seemed to be a tighter team who have trained together more, which proved the difference when we started to lose our concentration."

Derwent: Aylett, Weighall, Shelbourn, Tapper, Fraser, Whittall (C), Curteis, Nozaki, Eyles, D'Albertanson, Sabas. Subs: Fisher, Scheonmaker, Elvin
Man of the Match: Alex D'Albertanson

Alcuin: Smith, Kennick (C), Perera, Pickar, Toumazou, McConnell, Carver, Twin, Simpson, Harget, Brough. Subs: Southwell, Pierce, Quitana

Man of the Match: Carl Pickar

Latest in Football

player Posted on Thursday 15 May 2014

Whittall*