Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

York College Select mauled by Lancaster rivals

Lack of experience playing as a team cost York as they were beaten 5-1 by Lancaster

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

LANCASTER 5-1 YORK

[flickr-slideshow tags="jameslancaster" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

A full-strength Lancaster County College found no difficulty in dispatching a York college select, largely made up of a group of footballers that had never played with one another on the same team before. Injuries and fixture clashes had severely weakened the York side, who despite their disadvantage put in a sterling effort against the opposition.

The opening ten minutes of the match were largely uneventful with perhaps the only real piece of action coming from a Lancaster corner which saw York keeper Jonny Sim climb above several Lancaster players to claim the ball. York's chances mainly came on the counter attack against a physical Lancaster side, with York's first shot of the game being skied over the Lancaster bar.

Lancaster should have taken the lead just inside the half hour mark as Ralph Gill was dispossessed at the back after the ball got away from him after a lazy first touch. The Lancaster striker, who was clean through on goal, fluffed his lines shooting wide of the far post.

Andrew Jopson then had an opportunity to put York ahead. Jopson cut in from the right wing and ran down the inside channel beating a couple of Lancaster players in the process, however, he sliced his resultant shot and it sailed wide of the near post.

Lancaster then took the lead. After their left winger found some space out wide, he slipped through a ball to their striker who slotted a low shot past Sim to put the Red Rose ahead. At half time, the score remained 1-0 to Lancaster.

Lancaster had the first real chance of the second half. Their right winger went clean through on goal and hit a venomous shot with his right foot towards the far post, only to be denied by Sim. York started to enjoy a little bit more possession in midfield during the early stages of the second half with Dan Haresnape dictating the direction of play for York.

York managed to grab an equaliser as Theo Miller fired the ball past the opposition keeper to level the scores. However, soon after Lancaster reclaimed their lead with an emphatic forty yard lob over Sim which stunned the York supporters and sent the Lancaster crowd into raptures.

Lancaster then piled on the misery for York, getting a third goal. York missed a vital interception from a long throw which gave one of the Lancaster attackers plenty of time to power a header past a helpless Sim, making the score line 3-1 in Lancaster's favour.

York's frailty at the back was once again exploited by the Red Rose. An out swinging corner was whipped into the York box. York failed to clear the danger twice and the ball fell to the Lancaster striker who provided a tap-in to extend his side's lead further.

Lancaster finally got their fifth goal. Their striker went one on one against a deserted Gill, shifting the ball to his left foot before firing a shot at Sim who did well to save. The ball unfortunately came back to the Lancaster striker who squared the ball right to give his teammate an open goal with which to aim at, Sim was left helpless once more as another shot was fired into the back of his net.

The match finished 5-1 to Lancaster, regardless, it was a brave effort from the York side who had effectively been put together for the first time on the morning of the match.

After the match, captain Ralph Gill spoke to Nouse saying: "A lot of our players have never actually played together before, for the first time we've met today, I thought it was a pretty good performance. In the first half we kept it tight and we were certainly in the game, they created very few chances. A few sloppy goals let us down but it was enjoyable and it was played in good spirit, so we're just happy to be part of Roses."

York: Sim, Hobson, Gill (C), Axford, Baker, Miller, Haresnape, Jopson, Parsonson, Briars, Singleton

Man of the Match: Andrew Jopson

Latest in Football