Roses Lacrosse Web Exclusives Sport

Women's lacrosse storm past Lancaster

York women's lacrosse ended a fantastic season with a win, thrashing Lancaster yet again at this year's Roses

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

LANCASTER 1-13 YORK

[flickr-slideshow tags="womenslacrosse030514" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

The York women's lacrosse first team finished their incredibly successful season in emphatic style dismantling their Lancaster rivals with ease, winning 13-1 to put in one of the most dominant performances for the black and gold all weekend.

York opened the scoring early in the first quarter and continued to add to their tally until the break. Katie Barrett was particularly impressive when scoring York's fourth. She launched a powerful shot past the Lancaster keeper after a weaving run through the middle which saw her beat two Lancaster players.

York were not untroubled by the Red Rose in the first quarter though as keeper Amy Blumsom had to pull off a last minute save from Lancaster's first real attack of the game. Regardless, York finished the first quarter 5-0 up and the game looked as good as over, despite the fact that there were another three quarters to be played.

The second quarter was once again characterised by York continuously attacking their opponents. It became apparent that there was a real possibility that every York attack could result in a goal. Regardless, York made sure they remained tight at the back, organising their defence well against what limited attacking threat Lancaster posed.

York's eighth goal was particularly impressive. Captain Claire Thomas made a forty yard run after a restart before passing to Barrett. Barrett collected a challenging pass superbly before firing a typically powerful shot past the Lancaster keeper to make the score line 8-0 to York.

The third quarter opened with vice-captain Alex Whitehand enjoying a great darting run, taking several Lancaster players out of the game before scoring York's ninth goal of the day. However, the third quarter turned out to be the most evenly contested of them all as Lancaster managed to bag a shock goal, against the run of play, which sent the home crowd into a frenzy.

The fourth quarter of the match saw York reassert their dominance once more. Whitehand once again made a fantastic run, this time down the left wing, taking on and beating nearly half of the Lancaster team before scoring once more to send York 10-1 up. York's eleventh goal was scored by Miranda Otter-Barry Ross who scored from point blank range. Sasha Greane then bagged York's twelfth goal of the day firing a venomous shot into the roof of the net.

Chloe Searle scored York's last goal of the game to end the quarter on a high. After a restart on the left, Searle ran down the flank before cutting in. After beating several Lancaster players, something the York girls had become accustom to all afternoon, Searle launched a fierce shot past the Lancaster keeper to make the final score 13-1 in York's favour.

The York girls thoroughly deserved their win and it was one of the most impressive displays from any York side all weekend. It was a fitting end to a great season and a fitting way to say goodbye to some of their long serving teammates.

York: Blumsom, Wild, Pay-Savage, Bell, Thomas (C),Leech, Otter-Barry Ross, Searle, Barrett, Whitehand, Wilhillians, Greane, Moylett, Gordon, Car-Archer, Rolewicz, Johnston, Thompson, Irving, Fox, Davison

Player of the Match: Alex Whitehand

Latest in Roses