Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Women's indoor firsts lose out to Lancaster

The women's indoor football firsts suffered a disappointing defeat against Lancaster during one of the early fixtures on the Saturday of Roses

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

LANCASTER 5-2 YORK

[flickr-slideshow tags="whroses" caption="Images: James Hostford"]

The women's indoor football firsts suffered a disappointing defeat against Lancaster during one of the early fixtures on the Saturday of Roses. The game was full of drama and surprisingly, some poor refereeing decisions, which hampered both sides throughout the match.

The opening stages of the match quickly turned sour for York as Lancaster managed to sneak a goal at a tight angle past keeper Anna Cook. Regardless of this early setback, York kept battling.

Sophie Jermy looked lively for York in the opening five minutes of the match with two good chances. Her first shot was fired with power straight at the Lancaster keeper but her second shot a minute later crept narrowly wide of the post.

York's persistent pressure on the Lancaster defence soon paid off as Rhiannon Roy bagged an equaliser for the York girls. However, immediately after the restart Lancaster took the lead once more with a powerful shot that left Cook with no time to react. With the score at 2-1, York were once again searching for an equaliser.

They nearly found it before half time through Roy's free kick but she was denied by the post. York went into half time 2-1 down, perhaps feeling aggrieved not to be on level terms with their Lancashire counterparts.

Lancaster started the brighter of the two sides after the restart and this was reflected through their third goal which saw the Red Rose extend their lead to two goals. York had a clear cut opportunity to reduce the deficit as Vicky Decamp struck a well-timed shot with her right foot only to see her effort be denied by the woodwork.

Decamp had another opportunity to score York's second, hitting a sweet volley from outside the opposition's area, unfortunately, it just drifted wide of the mark. York then hit the post for a third time during the match as Jessica Craig's shot which beat the Lancaster keeper was eventually denied by the far post.

With the Lancaster spectators sensing a York comeback, they doubled their efforts in support with shouts of "Lancaster La La La" ringing throughout the sports hall. Perhaps it was this added vocal support that inspired the Red Rose to steal a fourth goal, a goal which all but ended York's hopes of victory.

Lancaster then rubbed salt into York's wounds by scoring a fifth goal, a great left footed finish which rocketed into the net just inside the far post.

However, York managed to grab their well-deserved second goal through Jessica Craig's powerful shot. Unfortunately, it was too little, too late for the black and gold as Lancaster ran away with the points.

After the match, York captain Ellie Whittaker spoke to Nouse giving her thoughts on the match as well as looking ahead to the rematch against Lancaster the next day, this time on grass: "We're absolutely devastated. I'm not sure what was going on. To be fair to them, they gave 100 per cent and we crumbled. I'm confident that tomorrow, we're going to get the result. We'll come ready and they better be waiting for us because we're going to absolutely trash them."

York: Whittaker (C), Roy, Decamp, Davies, Jermy, Craig, Middlemiss, Cook

Player of the Match: Rhiannon Roy

Latest in Football