Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Wentworth edge Goodricke in lacklustre game

In a largely uneventful game on the JLD, a Sam Nedley goal was the only difference between Goodricke seconds and Wentworth firsts as the postgrads clinched a vital three points.

GOODRICKE SECONDS 0 - 1 WENTWORTH FIRSTS
Group D

For the vast majority of the game, the game was played at an abysmal lull as both teams struggled to work the ball out of midfield. Nothing happened of note until the fourteenth minute when Wentworth captain Wayne Paes dragged a rare shot wide, whilst Ciaran Lynch skied a shot a few moments later.

Wentworth were certainly building pressure and found themselves with the ball more often than not. However, Goodricke remained defensively stubborn throughout and they managed an attempt on seventeen minutes when Gabriel Altiparmak headed straight wide. Chances, from this moment on, dried up for the rest of the half.

Goodricke set themselves up more aggressively in the second half and they did eventually manage an attempt on target just two minutes into the half. Aaron Sullivan rose well to head the ball from a corner, but it was straight at Wentworth goalkeeper Ahmad Sowdani.

However, Wentworth soon retook some control on the game as they pressed well when Goodricke were in possession.

The high-pressing game proved to be effective for the postgrads when they claimed the only goal of the game on forty-eight minutes. A neat one-two move on the right allowed Paes to play in Nedley who, with a clever flick, wrong-footed Joe Fagan and fired a wicked shot across goal and into the net at the far post.

Goodricke failed to muster any sort of reaction as the rest of the game played out in the same lacklustre fashion as it had started. The match was never going to be remembered as a classic, but this one struggled to be remembered as a football match at times.

Michael Olsen, the Goodricke captain, told Nouse: "We passed it around well but just weren't good enough in the final third. We kept the ball well in midfield and defensively we were quite strong and we've let in a soft goal."

Wentworth captain Wayne Paes said of the game: "I thought this would be the trickiest fixture of the group. We knew it was going to be tight but it was brilliant to go and get the three points. We've set ourselves up well for a good finish in the group".

Goodricke: Woolley, Smalley, Olsen, Fagan, Altiparmak (De Wild), Ashurst, Sullivan, Cremi, Boyle, Tandy (Clarkson), Courtney (Fuller)
Man of the match: Gianluca Cremi

Wentworth: Sowdani, Cox, Kosunalp, Parker, Keane, Nedley, Paes, Bawdon, Papoui, Gibson, Lynch (Benesch)
Man of the match: Sam Nedley