Football Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Men's thirds suffer defeat at the hands of Lancaster

York's men's football firsts were outclassed in Roses this year in a 4-2 defeat, despite a spirited performance by the White Rose against a much stronger side.

LANCASTER 5 - 2 YORK

[flickr-slideshow tags="mens3rdsfootball030514" caption="Images: Petroc Taylor"]

The game started very evenly with both sides cancelling each other out in midfield. However, Lancaster's outfit had considerable pace in the wide positions as well as a considerable aerial advantage up front.

This advantage was telling as Lancaster grew into the game and they eventually broke the deadlock just ten minutes into the game when their striker powered home a thumping header from a corner.

York, however, were unfazed by going behind so soon and instantly looked to react as striker Garo Heath struck the base of the post.

After that, sadly, the game died down to a lengthy lull with neither side looking particularly like scoring. That was until the half hour mark Lancaster looked to step a gear.

Their central midfielder picked out their striker perfectly on a run down the right channel; a magnificent touch allowed him to cut inside and fizz a wicked half volley just wide of York keeper Kris Cheshire's far post.

This chance spurred the game back into life and, five minutes later, York managed to force an equaliser from a rare chance.

On the break from a free kick, Harry O'Brien put George Waring through on goal with just the keeper to beat. With the Lancaster goalie in no man's land just outside of his area, Waring lobbed the ball first time to dink it perfectly into the net to give York the equaliser.

As half time fast approached, both sides had good chances to take the lead but, annoyingly for York, Lancaster took theirs when a cross-cum-shot was slotted in at the far post. York look to react immediately when Oli Bull fired off a shot but it was straight at the goalkeeper.

Much like their counterparts in the clash between the firsts teams the evening before, York came out a refreshed and stronger side in the second half. Heath got York off to a flying start early on when his low shot had to be tipped round the post by the goalkeeper.

Despite looking more dangerous in the second half, York shot themselves in the foot in the fifty-fifth minute when Mark Howarth challenge in the penalty area meant that the Red Rose were awarded a penalty, which was executed perfectly down the middle as Cheshire dived to his right.

The deficit soon became 4-1 just a few minutes later. A dinked Lancaster free kick outfoxed the York defence, which failed to react to the winger that had run in behind them and tucked the ball past a helpless Cheshire.

York should be given credit for not letting the game run away from them as they continued to look for goals, with their second coming twenty minutes from time. In a rare attack, Sam Weighall glided his way through the centre of the park before expertly firing a shot into the side netting to make it 4-2.

With a quarter of an hour still left on the clock, a miraculous comeback wasn't off the cards for York. However, Lancaster put the game to bed in the eightieth minute when their immensely powerful winger let off an unstoppable shot from just inside the area to put the score-line at 5-2.

Both Heath and Naylor had chances in the closing stages, but it was always going to be too little too late in a game where York were well and truly beaten.

York squad: Cheshire, Brooks, Bull (C), Jones, Howarth, Weighall, Naylor, O'Brien, Benney, Waring, Heath