Hockey Roses Web Exclusives Sport

Roses 2014 Preview: Hockey

York have measurably more strength in depth, so the Black and Gold can be hopeful of earning more points than they concede

Image: Lily Grant
Image: Lily Grant

Fixtures

Men's indoor seconds: Friday 1:45pm, Sports Centre Main Hall
Women's indoor seconds: Friday 2:30pm, Sports Centre Main Hall
Women's indoor firsts: Friday 3pm, Sports Centre Main Hall
Men's indoor firsts: Friday 4:15pm, Sports Centre Main Hall
Men's thirds: Saturday 9:30am, Astro 1
Women's thirds: Saturday 10:45am, Astro 1
Women's seconds: Saturday 12pm, Astro 1
Men's seconds: Saturday 1:30pm, Astro 1
Women's firsts: Saturday 3pm, Astro 1
Men's firsts: Saturday 4:30pm, Astro 1

Image: Petroc Taylor
Image: Petroc Taylor

Points on offer: 20

2013 results

Men's indoor seconds: drew 5-5
Women's indoor seconds: drew 2-2
Women's indoor firsts: drew 4-4
Men's indoor firsts: won 7-5
Men's thirds: won 4-1
Women's seconds: won 3-0
Men's seconds: lost 0-2
Women's firsts: won 1-0
Men's firsts: won 4-0

Nina Rawlings and James Hope, Club Presidents

How have the club performed so far this season?

"UYHC always performs to a very high standard and this season has resulted in promotions for the men's 2s in the BUCS league, and the men's 3s in the Yorkshire league - two successes that the club is immensely proud of. All other teams remain comfortably in their current leagues. We have also facilitated the introduction of a Ladies' 3s team who will be playing at Roses and entering the BUCS league next year, another huge success for the club which will now field 6 teams on a weekly basis."

What are you expecting from your Roses fixture?

"Roses is always a highlight of the year for us, as we expect it is for everyone, and this year we will be hoping for a Roses whitewash having come so close to it last year. We have strong teams across the board and firmly believe that a win from every team securing 14 points for York in the outdoor, with a potential for 6 more in the indoor, is well within our capabilities."

Why should people come and watch your matches?

"Hockey is a great spectator sport. Being such a large club we always have a huge presence on the sideline supporting our teams and this makes for an impressive atmosphere over the two days. The Roses matches are always incredibly exciting and we would encourage everyone to come down and watch."

Nouse Verdict

York's hockey sides always provide their spectators with some hugely entertaining encounters in a fast-paced sport. Indoor hockey, in an enclosed space in a game that barely stops for a second, produced an electric atmosphere that was heard right across campus last year, especially when Jono Butler slotted home the winning goal for the men's firsts in the last minute of the match. The outdoor game is much the same in terms of atmosphere as it allows a large contingent of rowdy but entertaining supporters to congregate along a larger pitch, hopefully in the sun. Last year's Roses was hugely successful for UYHC, with them only losing one match; however, they'll be hoping to draw fewer games this time round. As for their BUCS form, both of the firsts teams have had a season to put behind them with both teams finishing fifth, whilst Lancaster's firsts side showed considerably more success with their men's team winning promotion. However, York have measurably more strength in depth with promotion for the men's seconds and a spirited third place finish for the men's thirds and women's seconds, so the Black and Gold can be hopeful of earning more points than they concede.

Jono Butler Posted on Friday 13 Dec 2019

All eyes on me

old man Posted on Friday 13 Dec 2019

Another Nina Rawlings hat-trick is predicted...

PS good looking umpire in the top photo...! #mistwatch