Film & TV Web Exclusives Muse TV

TV Review: Hannibal Season 2 Episode 5: 'Mukozuke'

"You are like catnip for killers." Adnan Riaz reviews

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

Rating:

There are very few TV shows that can maintain consistency each and every week, but for NBC's Hannibal this is the simplest of tasks and it continues to raise the bar on expectations.

'Mukozuke' is the best episode from season two thus far, and from beginning to end it excels in every aspect. The opening transition shots of food between Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) and Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) consists of exceptional editing and cinematography, which sets the exact opposite tone to what is expected in this week's episode.

Beverly Katz's (Hettienne Park) fate was left hanging in the balance at the closing moments from 'Takiawase', but developer Bryan Fuller demonstrated that if you meet your demise in Hannibal, it will never be a pretty sight. Every episode has the viewer believing that they have seen the worst possible execution from the show, but they return with another one that is capable of upsetting anyone's stomach.

Will Graham is put in his straightjacket and taken to the crime scene to reconstruct Beverly's murder, which allows for us to see him wear the eminent face mask that Anthony Hopkins wore in the films, although Will's is slightly altered from that one and, in the process, is even more chilling.

Freddie Lounds (Lara Jean Chorostecki) returns to the narrative for the second time this season and is back to her Taddle Crime journalist ways. Her pre-interview walk to where Will is being held echoed homage to Clarice Starling's conversational exchange with Dr. Chilton in The Silence of the Lambs. Abel Gideon (Eddie Izzard) also returns from season one and Izzard is always welcomed back for his superb portrayal as the deranged psychopath. His cameo only strengths the narrative of this week's episode and his conversational exchange with Will and Lecter is remarkable.

Will's new orderly, Matthew Brown (Jonathan Tucker), is added to the collection of unique psychopaths in the Hannibal roster, and his presence mimics the unsettling atmosphere that all his predecessors had brought. Beverly's murder has Will determined to exact revenge on Hannibal Lecter, which eventually has him request Matthew to kill him. For the first time, Hannibal becomes the victim as Matthew tortures and prepares to execute him. The confrontation between the two psychopaths creates for a disturbing segment.

NBC's Hannibal has no doubt delivered consistency across season two and is easily building a reputation for the best TV show running. Each and every week the episodes are stellar, and the previews at the end of them leave 'Fannibals' with an excruciating seven day wait for it to resume. Next week's preview for Hannibal has a red herring written all over it, but it still leaves the expectations even greater to build on 'Mukozuke'.

Latest in Film & TV