Fashion Fashion Features Muse

LFW AW14: What our editors thought

Rachel Thompson and George Wood share their experiences of London Fashion Week AW14 - includes access to all coverage

Photo credit: Petroc Taylor

All our coverage of London Fashion Week AW14:

Shows:

Holly Fulton
Daks
John Rocha
Topshop Unique
Bora Aksu
Felder Felder
Mimi Fasi
Ong-Oaj Pairam
Basharaytan V

Presentations:

Liz Black
Little Shilpa

Trends:

Top Trends
Hair and Beauty
Jewellery

Interviews:

1205
Danielle Romeril
Tzuji

Other highlights:

Picks from the show space
The Catwalk Playlist

RT:
How would I describe my time at London Fashion Week? A whirlwind. The experience is unlike anything else; you are in London, the capital of culture and fashion, rubbing shoulders with editors from Vogue, as you watch Samantha Banks and Amber Le Bon stroll by. The intensity of the event and continual demand to be everywhere and see everything leaves you in a slight daze.

The fashion industry may still retain that aloof aura, in the sense of who you are and definitely who you know. However, this year that elitism, though still present, was not a hindrance; we secured more tickets, saw more shows (with better views) and had access to more intimate parties than ever before.

This LFW had it all: British heritage, culture, history and extravagance. The thing about London is that people aren't afraid to take chances and push things forward. This attitude is what gets the fashion world excited and attracts the must-see models and celebrities alike. London has taken off over past seasons to become a home of individualistic fashion, with each designer placing their own unique stamp on the event. It is not only the designers who fly the flag but the people at Somerset House who represent British fashion. Twitter and Instagram were flooded with images of street style and LFW attendees, each more energetic, unique and vibrant than the last.

Prior to our time in London, some of the team thought it would be a circus of outrageous frocks worn by wisps of people: they were greeted by a buzz of creativity and now cannot tear themselves away from the British Fashion Council news feed. Our LFW saw us fall in love with deep red lips, witness a serious soft spot for all things furry and textured, embrace the decadence of floral 3D garments and lust after Preen's burnt orange combinations.

This is the fourth year Nouse has attended LFW and we want to showcase how we have progressed to see the event like never before. We hope you find something within our show and behind-the-scenes coverage that intrigues you and convinces you of the versatility of fashion.

Photo credit: Nouse photography

GW: The Muse team's trip to London Fashion Week (LFW) last month was my first foray into the fashion world, and let me say, I loved every minute of it.

Stepping into the courtyard of Somerset House for the first time is like stepping into another world, one where everyone dresses extravagantly in the hope of being snapped by the swarms of photographers that wait by the venues.

Yet, despite what people might assume, the fashion industry really isn't an entity that lives in its own bubble, detached from the rest of society. Talking to people as everyone excitedly queues up for the next big catwalk show and you'll find most come across surprisingly friendly and chatty, not the pretentious fashionistas the media would have us to believe.

Plus there's such a variety of people: designers, bloggers, models, journalists, photographers, organisers, celebrities, all mixed in the crowds. Bumping into Vanessa White of The Saturdays on the steps to my very first catwalk show - Felder Felder - was quite a surreal moment; never before have I been in a situation where the line separating fame from everyone else has been so undefined.

I admit we weren't quite living the high life for the entirety of the week. Soaked to the bone and huddling for warmth in the pouring rain as we waited for the Daks show was definitely a low moment (though seeing people trying to walk across the slippery cobbles of Somerset House in skirts and high heels provided some shameless entertainment).

Overall, though, LFW had me hooked. Returning to York and not wondering what breathtaking show I'll be watching next turned out to be a disappointment in comparison!