Fashion Shows Web Exclusives Muse

LFW AW14: Liz Black presentation report

[flickr-slideshow tags="lizblack14" caption="Photo credit: James Hostford"]

If Liz Black's Alice in Wonderland-themed presentation for AW13 was a step down the rabbit hole, then her "Fashion Meets Paranoia" event, inspired by the life and work of Salvador Dali, takes another leap into the surreal. Setting the atmosphere for the presentation was a larger-than-life, three-dimensional structure of Dali himself, complete with maddening eyes and twirling moustache.

Models started to crawl and prowl out of giant eggs (another homage to Dali's work), wearing bold statement pieces - giant moustache and red lips appliques were order of the day. The colour palette was dynamic: it could have been easy to stick with just beige and black, but the splashes of turquoise and earthy red made for an interesting blend.

Simple cuts complemented a mixture of leather, wool crepe and silk organza, though under the presentation lighting it was difficult to point out the intricacies of the designs. One flesh-coloured layered designed looked a tribute to Dali's Lobster telephone.

More strikingly was the models' creepy but effective makeup, which featured lobsters around the eyes, and ants around the face, neck and arms. This, combined with the peculiar posing by the models (which involved a lot of pointing and touching!), succeeded in bringing the mysteriousness of Dali's surrealism to life.

However, occasionally the presentation felt not too dissimilar to a photo booth in a club - perhaps this was down to the moustache-themed props you could use to pose with the models, or the bold appliques that, in the lighting of the room, offset the more sinuous elements of the designs. Still, Black's work was artistic and entertaining, a lively performance to show off her latest collection.