Fashion Trends Muse

LFW AW14: Hair and Beauty

Rachel Thompson and Erin Rodgers pick out the latest beauty and hair trends from London Fashion Week

Photo credit: Petroc Taylor
Photo credit: Petroc Taylor

Beauty:

Debauched debutantes at House Of Holland

Not sure which we loved more: the retro burgundy and fuschia French manicure or the inky green, smoky eye.

80s Gloss At Matthew Williamson

The makeup magic was conducted by Lisa Eldridge, she gave the models glossy plum lips and a burnished bronze eye. Her inspiration must have been 80s icons Bianca Jagger and Jerry Hall - this was one seriously sultry look.

It was all about the lips...
...whether they were the blue crystal lips seen at Basharaytan V, or deep crimson with jet black sides a la Vita.

Backstage tip

How do you stylishly keep hair kinks at bay? Holly Fulton used Bumble and Bumble's packs of playing cards - that's how. Ingenious.

Photo credit: Petroc Taylor
Photo credit: Petroc Taylor

Hair:

One hair style particularly dominated this London Fashion Week, cropping up in the exhibitions and on the runways of fashion powerhouses. Hair braids, or the dishevelled plait, have stamped their mark on AW14.

Ranging from the glossy and sophisticated to the loose and wispy, long gone is the nostalgia for the schoolgirl plait. Designers from across the week interpreted the braid to compliment their clothing designs, resulting in an impressive spectrum of creative style.
Our favourites were Bora Asku, with their combination of braid construction - starting behind one ear and twisting over the head to finish behind the next in Alice band style - and styling with large white ribbon bows and a sleek and high-shine finish. It evoked a mesmerising doll-like image on the catwalk.

Then there was Haizhen Wang. His mohawk fishtail was a particular favourite. His multi-textural braid was simultaneously punk-cool and whimsical. With a matte, tousled finish and loose strands of hair 'messying' the style, this design was easily worn on the catwalk. Jean Pierre Braganza's design was also eye-catching.