Music Music Reviews Muse

Album Review: Nina Nesbitt - Peroxide

Kate Mitchell lends her ears to the debut by the Scottish songstress.

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

peroxide

Nina Nesbitt is a pop singer who is refreshingly willing to write songs about the superficial priorities of teenage life in the post-2010 decade.

The 19 year old Scottish-Swedish starlet was discovered by Ed Sheeran at the age of 16, and gained exposure as his support act. This is particularly impressive considering she first picked up a guitar only a year earlier. In 2013 she entered the hallowed clique of female singer-songwriters to have soundtracked one of the infamous John Lewis adverts, with her cover Fleetwood Mac's Don't Stop. Peroxide is her debut album.

Her strong Scottish accent eludes obvious comparisons to KT Tunstall and Amy MacDonald, but there is a more distinctly pop-esque sound running through large parts of her album that is more reminiscent of Lily Allen or Taylor Swift. This is particularly evident on leading single 'Selfies', an upbeat and catchy tune on the subject of unapologetically Instagramming one's face to build back up self-confidence in the aftermath of a painful break up. Considering the stigma placed on selfie-culture as a symbol of narcissistic immaturity, it is satisfying to see a teenager standing up for the importance of loving thyselfie.

It is such songs speaking specifically to a contemporary modern audience that are the album's strength. Whilst her lyrics are never going to answer the fundamental questions of reality, they are unpretentious, on-trend and exactly what modern pop music needs to be. 'Mr. C' is a foot-stomping attack on stereotypical single straight boys in nightclubs bluntly asking "I'll take the drink but if you think you're coming home with me, who you tryna kid?" Meanwhile 'We'll Be Back For More' suggests normality in spending immediate post-school years living for the moment and not needing to rush towards making long-term plans a reality, a sentiment that is very appealing to the ears of a serially procrastinating student.

When the album strays into more generic ballads about love, it captures the least interest. 'Align' and 'The Hardest Part' are essentially an optimistic and pessimistic outlook on exactly the same story of star-crossed love. Both songs are pleasant to listen to, and highlight her vocal capabilities well, but they have been done a million times before.

Nevertheless, when she is at her best Nina Nesbitt the perfect example of a pop star for the moment whom is fully deserving every inch of success she has achieved.

Latest in Music