News

YUSU letting agency plan approved

The feasibility study for a YUSU owned letting agency has been given the go ahead by the University's Trustee board

6781934443_4e3bef3d94_o

The feasibility study for a YUSU owned letting agency has been given the go ahead by the University's Trustee board.

The study, which was developed after the referendum, was the result of several months' work reviewing different possible models for the letting agency. The model proposed will involve working with York St John Students Union.

An overwhelming majority of students were in favour of plans for the letting agency, with 1,086 students voting Yes in the October referendum and 117 voting No.

Megan Ollerhead, Chair of the York Student Socialist Society and leader of the Yes campaign, explained that the plans would include "a mandatory landlord accreditation scheme, and further campaigning regarding the potentially sky-rocketing on-campus rents."

A joint steering group has been established to turn the feasibility study into a final business plan. Plans will be finalised this academic year and the agency will be ready to let to students from January 2014 2015.

The letting agency is designed to reduce letting costs for students and to guarantee better quality accommodation, after the problems that numerous students have faced with York letting agencies including Sinclair and Adam Bennett.

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, told Nouse: "It's a really exciting time as I firmly believe this will see us provide the best quality, fairest priced housing to our students and have a positive influence on housing in York for many years to come. At last there will be a letting service that students can trust."

One second year Politics student responded to the approval, telling Nouse: "it's relevant to students in York as we're always looking for the most reliable agency. I don't want to get ripped off!"

SHA Posted on Thursday 6 Aug 2020

Interested to see how this turns out. I was quite sceptical but it seems even LUSU at Lancaster run their own letting agency.

anon Posted on Thursday 6 Aug 2020

from January 2015 (not 2014) surely