News

Big D confirmed for 2014

Despite making a loss of PS25,000 in 2013 Big D has been confirmed for this year

Credit: George Lowther
Credit: George Lowther

After speculation over the future of the event, Nouse can exclusively reveal that Big D will take place this year.

Derwent's flagship event made a loss of £25,000 in 2013 and a loss of £17,000 the previous year. The organisers, Ents Vice Chairs, Patrick Amoroso and Andy Bostock, have pledged to "Re-brand the event to move forward" and to make it into a "more personal festival of music with more attention payed to the range of music on offer". They also spoke about collaborating with other student run York music nights, and "incorporating as much of the local music scene as possible"

Big D will be brought forward to the end of week 8 to accommodate for international students and for those who go home before term ends.

Addressing the worries over budget, the Ents Vice Chairs said "the new BigD committee that has formed this term reworked the budget in collaboration with YUSU to ensure targets are financially realistic for providing an excellent day and night'

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, told Nouse:

"We've been working closely with Derwent to help avoid another big deficit running event. I'm aware there are plans for 'Big D' to happen again, but it's highly likely to be a completely different animal. The brand itself desperately needs a new lease of life and we're looking forward to helping Derwent deliver a quality, sustainable and fun event."

One second year Derwent student was less thrilled at the renewal of Big D, commenting "I've never been to Big D and I have no intention of going. I'd rather they used the money to improve the standard of living here"

SHA Posted on Thursday 6 Aug 2020

You've had the opportunity to go once, when it was arguably the worst it has been for at least the past 5 years. Give it a chance...

Tom A-C Posted on Thursday 6 Aug 2020

There will always be a Big D whilst I'm in York #playaaaa

Johnny Posted on Thursday 6 Aug 2020

I have confidence that the current Ents team is enthusiastic and better than last time, and I'm sure BigD will be at least better than it was last year.

yolo Posted on Thursday 6 Aug 2020

The REAL issue is the lack of ambition found amongst Derwent freshers for continuing Derwent's party college reputation, BIGUP BIG D 2K14

Cameron Strange Posted on Thursday 6 Aug 2020

I am the Derwent Rugby Captain