Music Nouse Playlist Music Features Music Reviews Web Exclusives Muse

Nouse's Musical Advent Calendar: Day 6

Victoria Chater-Lea gives us her review of the biggest-selling Christmas song ever released.

Photo: Ayca Wilson
Photo: Ayca Wilson

Band Aid- Do They Know It's Christmas?

Written and produced by Bob Geldolf and Midge Ure in 1984, this phenomenal song is definitely considered a Christmas essential. Selling one million copies in its first week of release, and topping the charts for 5 consecutive weeks, this classic raised over £8 million worldwide in aid of the Ethiopian famine. Though their hearts were no doubt in the right place, it is hard not to question the hypocrisy of the all-star cast, who collectively could have afforded to pull Ethiopia out of the famine. This song embodies a major key, however produces depressing vocals to illustrate the severity of the issue. The festive bell ringing adds character to single and the repetitive beat is genuinely unmistakeable, making this ballad one of the most recognised pieces in Christmas history. So thank God it's them, and not you, celebrate Christmas and succumb to the constant reminders of how fortunate you are, because this song is clearly is going to be on the radar for many more years to come.