Music Nouse Playlist Music Features Music Reviews Web Exclusives

Nouse's Musical Advent Calendar: Day 5

Erin Rodgers takes a listen to an all-time favourite which epitomizes one of the best Christmas films.

Photo: Carol Browne
Photo: Carol Browne

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas

All I want for Christmas is to look as sexy as Mariah in a snowsuit. When this classic Christmas tune comes on you'll notice most people in the room do an awkward little bop as they try to play it cool and suppress their excitement on hearing its opening bars. Perhaps THE Christmas song to mouth along to (I say mouth, as Mariah's notes are for the most part inaccessible to the average human vocal range), 'All I want for Christmas' brings winter romance to the forefront of Christmas time celebrations. Let us not forget its inclusion in the soundtrack to the film 'Love Actually', sung by the talented Olivia Olson as Hugh Grant enjoys a sneaky smooch with Martine McCutcheon at a school play.

Whilst not all of us will spend our holidays frolicking in the snow with a Santa and a reindeer-led sleigh, a listen to Mariah's vocal sublimity will certainly be encouraging us to try our luck under the mistletoe...