Music Nouse Playlist Music Features Music Reviews Web Exclusives Muse

Nouse's Musical Advent Calendar: Day 3

On day three of our Christmas countdown, Anwen Baker tells us just why she loves this Cliff Richard classic.

frosty garden

Cliff Richard - Mistletoe & Wine

Swaying crowds, pre-pubescent choir boys and snow aplenty. You name it, Cliff Richard can bring it. Mistletoe and Wine is an overblown, schmaltzy extravaganza, a UK-wide grandma favourite, and an undeniable Christmas classic.

Mistletoe and Wine was Richards' 12th number one single, it spent four weeks at the top in December 1988 and was the best-selling single of that year. Along with Saviour's Day, Cliff has pretty much cornered the market for cheesy religious Christmas music.

It might not be your go to Christmas party tune, but it's catchy and it's sweet; Richards does manage to capture some of those classic Christmas scenes, with "logs on the fire and gifts on the tree".

So make your grandma happy this holiday season. Crack out the wine, hang up the mistletoe, and cut the cheese. It wouldn't be Christmas without it.

(And in case you really can't get enough of that kitschy Cliff goodness, he has an entire Christmas album. Enjoy.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjmGbI-Mnys