Fashion Fashion Features Web Exclusives Muse

Movember: A moustache to remember

Nouse Man Month continues with a tribute to the hairy heart of Movember

Any attempt I make at Movember is in vain. While always supportive of charities behind Movember, it ultimately becomes my excuse not to shave for a month rather than undertake a well-kept, facial-fuzzy venture. Moustaches are actually quite hard to pull off, and in the wrong hands (or rather, faces), they can have... creepy connotations. Here's a look back at some of the best and worst A-list 'taches of all time.

The Awkward Wisp

youth-in-revolt-photo

Let's start off with the worst. Cera's moustache is often a motivation for me to shave. First spotted in his role of the rebellious alter-ego Francois of Youth in Revolt, Cera's wisp might be one step far into the socially-awkward territory, even by Cera standards. It's just bad - a painful reminder why you should be wary of growing a moustache if you've only got a baby face to support it. Close contender: James Franco. He may not be as baby-faced but the patchy wispiness makes his moustache just as bad.

The Mighty

Tom Selleck as Magnum PI

Now this is a moustache. Selleck really has the manliest fuzz to an upper lip; nothing fancy, just a consistently strong, brushed look that makes him iconic in the world of moustaches. Could you imagine Magnum, P.I. with a clean-shaven lead? The 'tache is just too engrained into his image. I read somewhere that it's not the case that Tom Selleck doesn't look bad without a moustache, just that he simply doesn't look like Tom Selleck. So true.

The Handlebar

Daniel-Day-Lewis

The handlebar moustache has a villainous side to its character, famously associated with characters like Dick Dastardly. Daniel Day-Lewis' character in Gangs of New York wasn't exactly nice either, but his moustache had the perfect amount of twirl as not to seem cartoonish. Day-Lewis' film career could have a dedicated history section to facial hair, with the chin beard of Lincoln being the most recent addition, but its his Scorsese outing that deserves top spot.

The Joker

2674302613_1aa14ba5d0_z

Cesar Romero's slim but well-trimmed upper-lip hair is a trademark of almost all his films. But he deserves a shout-out simply for his refusal to shave his moustache while playing the Joker in the 1960s Batman TV series and spin-off film. So instead of removing it, his moustache was simply covered over in white makeup. As if the Batman series wasn't cheesy enough, you can still see Romero's bristles in some of the shots. His devotion to his 'tache is admirable.

The Ron

Ron-burgundy

Burgundy of Anchorman (Will Ferrell) and Swanson of Parks and Recreation (Nick Offerman) both endeavour to be the manliest of men, so of course both characters have moustaches. The two Rons are modern facial-hair heroes, worthy successors of the Selleck moustache, but which one wins? Burgundy might have the voice to make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo to match his magnificent 'tache, but Offerman actually auctioned his Swanson moustache for charity last year, so he narrowly wins. Plus, Offerman's motivational Movember videos each year are just brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z6VFJw5WTY