Film & TV Web Exclusives Muse

Preview: Aesthetica Film Festival 2013

Aesthetica Film Festival will be returning to York for its third year from 7th-10th November

ASFFThe third year of the Aesthetica Short Film Festival boasts an equally jam-packed line-up as its predecessors. Opening on the evening of Thursday 7th and running until Sunday 10th of this month, it is bound to be unmissable.

The festival is committed to showing a selection of both upcoming and well-established film talents, presenting short films from a huge array of genres, including drama, comedy, animation, documentary, music, thriller and experimental. With 300 films to choose from, it's hard not to find something that takes your fancy.

The festival will take place over 15 locations around York (all within walking distance of each other), seeing a number of iconic venues transformed into cinema screens, from Barley Hall to King's Manor. This year the ASFF is particularly proud to announce its focus on artists' films, welcoming the cross-over between mainstream and artists' cinema. For those unfamiliar with the genre, don't be put off: there is a reading area as part of the Artists' Film strand where you can discover more.

There is more to the ASFF than just short films. The programme also has a number of masterclasses, priced at £8.50 each. The key names to look out for will be actor and writer Alice Lowe (of Sightseers and Hot Fuzz fame), producer Barry Ryan, the founder and producer of Cowboy Films Lisa Bryer, and Media Project Manager of Channel 4 Susie Wright. Also on offer are networking opportunities with representatives of Film 4, Channel 4 and BAFTA, and a meet the film makers event.

This year there are filmmakers from 36 countries, including Kenya, Japan, Brazil and Canada. The international element of the festival is one of its main selling points. Reels From Life: or How We Learned To Love Postmodernism, which comes from Screen Bandita, a collective which is committed to bringing previously abandoned reels a new lease of life, is sure to be original and imaginative and is a must-see for any fans of artists' cinema. Also on the international stage is Jassim Al Nofaly's Panda, a drama from Kuwait following a man in the hours before his wedding. The drama strand is also host to The King Is Dead from Richard Higson, starring Russell Tovey, Martha Cope and David Schaal and Out of Darkness, Manjinder Virk's unique story told by nine different voices and which recently premiered at the BFI London Film Festival. Other films to watch out for is Marcin Wasilewski's abstract animation Lost Senses and The Pledge for Mr Bunny, Kevin Lim's comic take on a boy's fascination with machines.

At £27 for a 3-day student pass and £13.50 for a day ticket, allowing you unlimited access to all of the films, the festival caters for any film fan's student budget. As ASFF director Cherie Federico states, "it's not often you can turn a city into a cinema", so make sure you don't miss out on the huge variety of films being shown this weekend.

Nouse will be covering the Aesthetica Short Film Festival later this week.