Fashion Fashion Features Web Exclusives Muse

"Perfectionism is almost an illness with me" - Tom Ford's cosmetic plan to perfect men

It's Movember and Nouse Fashion is starting its Man Month

Tom Ford, the fashion colossus who reinvented luxury and sculpted the simplistically sexual identity of the 90's, the director of power houses Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent. Ford recently returned to the fashion arena to reside as King and decreed 'Tom Ford for men'. The inconspicuous title essentially translates, to those unfamiliar with male grooming (namely student tabloid readers), as 'makeup for lads'. And it's not only Ford who's at it, Marc Jacobs recently launched a full-face range for men in collaboration with professional American brand Sephora.

This initially odd concept of men in makeup is becoming less and less of a controversy as more of us are caught nicking a splodge of concealer from a female friend of a similar complexion or in the beauty isle of Superdrug browsing "for my girlfriend". Whether this shift in attitude can be attributed to transgender models like Andrej Pejic, walking both men's and women's catwalks, to the upsurge of modern feminism or to another societal change is unclear, but what is clear is that it is no longer (cringe alert) 'cool' to insecurely moan about your absent manliness/womanliness.

Questions of masculinity aside, any guy tempted to try the creamy, fresh-scented, lacquers and ointments that the world of makeup has to offer will probably be put off by the lofty prices. As many guys and girls will already be aware, makeup costs. You aren't going to find any 2-for-1 offers or leave with any free coupons the next time you pop down to see Tom on Bond Street. Instead you'll leave with a dehydrated bank balance and a loan not too dissimilar from that old friend Student Finance.

Nevertheless, self-expression through makeup should definitely be encouraged. We should reclaim the artistry of makeup. Yet, Tom Ford and Marc Jacobs's lines aren't aimed at self-expression rather hiding, and invariably creating, insecurities. It's when we find ourselves, fresh from Willow, waiting outside Superdrug to buy cotton applicators prior to a 9am lecture crippled with fear that someone may catch us bare-faced or when we start seeking reassurance and comfort as to our facial insecurities from female friends, that makeup for men should start being questioned. It's quite telling that Ford considers his drive towards a perceived 'perfection' as equitable to "an illness".

Unless we, as men, start creatively approaching makeup we may find ourselves sinking into the pits of self-consciousness and insecurity that have impeded women for centuries. Eighties heroes like Adam Ant and the whacky Club Kids should be held as examples for the future; we shouldn't be concealing and 'improving'. Tom Ford epitomises aspiration therefore his men's range will be beautiful; I'm just not convinced that the idea behind it is too.