Football Web Exclusives Sport

Lacklustre Leeds no match for UYWAFC

The score-line would suggest that the match was somewhat of a close encounter, but it was all one-way traffic as York's women's firsts football side brushed aside Leeds with ease on 22 Acres.

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 5 - 3 LEEDS UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern conference 3B

[flickr-slideshow tags="womensfootball231013" caption="Photos: Petroc Taylor"]

From the offset, York controlled and dominated possession in the Leeds half and it took only seven minutes for the Black and Gold to take a deserved lead.

Jess Craig found herself against the onrushing Leeds goalkeeper, who fouled Craig on the edge of the area. Talismanic striker Anty Cole stepped up to fire the subsequent free kick across goal and into the side netting.

Two minutes later, Leeds once again cracked under the York pressure. Sophie Jermy, who put in a superb performance on the right wing, used her pace to beat the full back and cut back inside. She cut the ball back to the unmarked Cole, who doubled York's lead with a confident finish.

Cole came dangerously close to completing her hat-trick after only twelve minutes but she dragged her shot narrowly wide. However, Cole would only have to wait three more minutes before she could stake her claim for the match ball.

Some pacey wizardry from Jermy meant that she found space to fire in a shot; Leeds failed to clear the dangerous ball and Cole was there once more to smash the ball home from close range.

After Craig and Cole came close for York, Leeds produced their only attempt on goal after an astonishing twenty-seven minutes when their striker was put through on goal against York 'keeper Charlie Brown. Thankfully, Brown produced a fine save with her feet to deny Leeds finding a way back into the match.

York quietly saw out the rest of the first half. After half-time oranges, the second half played out just how the first half had finished with York encamped in the final third of the field.

However, Leeds managed to find a goal ten minutes into the half when a Leeds player broke down the left; her shot was fired at the feet of Brown but she could not prevent the ball from spilling into the net.

Leeds continued to look dangerous on the break but York were keen to restore their three-goal cushion. After sixty-three minutes, a moment of magic from Cole gave her her fourth goal of the game.

An exquisite turn on the edge of the area completely fooled the defending centre-back, allowing Cole all the time in the world pick her spot and blast the ball past a helpless goalkeeper.

To their credit, the visiting weren't going down without a fight. On seventy minutes, Leeds forced a well-won break on goal as their left midfielder dribbled the ball towards goal before firing low into the bottom right-hand corner.

Nevertheless, a surprise comeback from Leeds was never on the cards as York continued to control the play and ten minutes from time they completed their rout of scoring for the day.

Ellie Whittaker, who had a successful afternoon on the left-hand side in the second half for York, played the ball inside the area to Cole, who beat the centre-back to the by-line before delivering a fine cross onto the diving head of Craig to make it 5-2.

Leeds did add another consolation goal five minutes before the final whistle. A long shot from their central midfielder got caught up in the wind, which managed to fool Brown as she rather unfortunately fumbled the ball over the line, leaving the fiunal score at 5-3.

After the game, team captain Ellie Whittaker told Nouse: "I've was very impressed with the footballers again and Anty [Cole]... Compared to last year - having been promoted, being unbeaten, and then getting to the final of the cup - it's looking very promising again."

Squad: Brown, Wilhelhsen, Davies (Middlemiss), Roy (Wang), Larkin, Retzius, Chambers, Craig, Jermy, Whittaker (C), Cole

Player of the match: Anty Cole