Football Sport

Goodricke take victory in Hes East Derby

In a game interrupted by helicopters, pitch changes and injuries, Goodricke came out as the clear victors after thrashing their campus rivals with a seven-goal deficit on a sun-drenched 22 Acres

GOODRICKE 8-1 LANGWITH

[flickr-slideshow tags="goodrickelangwith201013" caption="Photos: Petroc Taylor"]

In a game interrupted by helicopters, pitch changes and injuries, Goodricke came out as the clear victors after thrashing their campus rivals with a seven-goal deficit on a sun-drenched 22 Acres.

The early stages of the game were even between the sides as both teams got into the spirit of the derby.

Joe Mann and Fabian Ashurst looked the most threatening for Goodricke, whilst Andy Hutt was equally looking dangerous for Langwith.

Nevertheless, Goodricke began to get a foothold on the game and they deservedly broke the deadlock after ten minutes.

Mann rounded centre back Mark Starling before laying the ball off to the supporting Ashurst on the left.

The winger beat the full-back with a quick run towards the by-line before squaring the ballot lone-striker Simon Hurst, who slotted the ball home with a simple finish.

In fairness, Langwith did try to force an equaliser as they continued to look dangerous from set pieces.

However their rivals were dominating the level of possession and chances; too many Goodricke shots were firing too close to Langwith talismanic goalkeeper Kris Cheshire.

After Mann narrowly missed a chance to double his side's lead, he then went on to assist the goal that would double Goodricke's lead on the half-hour mark.

His mazey run through the centre was forced to the left by Starling and the approaching Cheshire, but he still managed to lob them all in a cross that found Hurst once again waiting in the middle as he scored with an easy header.

Goodricke looked confident with their 2-0 lead going into half-time as both sides moved to the adjacent pitch when they were told they were at risk of being hit by a nearby landing helicopter close to the pitch.

However, despite Goodricke's confidence, Langwith forced a goal back shortly after the restart when Matt Jones won his header from a corner.

But the leaders were quick to squander any chances of a comeback and five minutes later Ashurst got himself onto the score sheet when he beat the Langwith defence to a dangerous cross fizzing through the six-yard box.

On the hour mark, continued Goodricke pressure led to a fourth goal.

A long ball across the box was not cleared by full-back Tom Bennie, allowing James Lewis to chest and volley the ball into the net from the right-hand side.

Mann then decided to put Goodricke out of sight just three minutes later when he was given too much room and the edge of the box, allowing him to pick out the top corner with his terrific curler from his prolific left boot.

Substitute Jack Parsonson forced an athletic save from Tom Neil in Langwith's best chance of the second half.

Goodricke captain Johnnie Gilbanks made it 6-1 as he tucked the ball home after finding himself in space due to confusion between Langwith's defence and goalkeeper.

Sadly for Langwith, 7-1 was just round the corner as Joe Mann scored his second goal of the match.

Some clever footwork from the former captain opened up some space for him to fire low past Cheshire.

Goodricke completed their rout in the final minute of the game.

A ball over the Langwith defence was neatly latched onto by Hurst and he smartly lobbed the onrushing Cheshire to complete a well-earned hat-trick.

Speaking after the game, Johnnie Gilbanks told Nouse: "When it was at 2-1 I was a bit worried. In the second half, we didn't come out playing as well as we should have.

"But then we fought back a few more goals so I'm happy with that. We've six goals from two games with a great goal difference, so I'm pretty pleased with it!"

Elsewhere, a downtrodden Langwith captain, Marcus Campbell explained: "We were missing a few of the starters but it's no excuse to get beat by seven goals.

"We just didn't turn up - didn't play well - so we'll have to come back next week and do better".

Langwith Bystander Posted on Friday 25 Sep 2020

I guess the greens were simply too much for us