Football Web Exclusives Sport

James edge resilient Langwith

James overcame a resilient Langwith side on a damp 22 Acres this afternoon in a 3-1 victory, despite both teams being level for most of the first half as Langwith made the most of their few chances

JAMES 3-1 LANGWITH

[flickr-slideshow tags="Jameslangwith131013" caption="Photos: Petroc Taylor and Fiona Hill"]

James overcame a resilient Langwith side on a damp 22 Acres this afternoon in a 3-1 victory, despite both teams being level for most of the first half as Langwith made the most of their few chances.

James, who won the college football campaign this time last year, piled on the pressure early against a Langwith team who failed to produce any run of form for the entirety of last year. The game looked like it could spiral into another Langwith thrashing when James took the lead in the opening couple of minutes.

A long through the middle from the James midfield was not headed clear by Langwith centre-back Mark Starling, allowing James striker Andrew Jopson to run in behind the defence and tuck the ball under the onrushing Langwith keeper Kris Cheshire to give his side an early lead.

The winning side nearly doubled their lead just three minutes later, but they were denied by two superb saves from Cheshire. Central midfielder Amir Alhasan forced a finger-tip save from the Cheshire Cat with a powerful shot from the edge of the box which ricocheted back into play off the crossbar.

The ball eventually came back to Alhasan again but his second shot was again athletically blocked by Cheshire with the ball this time bouncing back into play off the post; Langwith were once again kept in the game courtesy of the woodwork and the reliability of their goalkeeper.

Nevertheless, Langwith defiantly got themselves back into the game as possession became more even and they found an equaliser just after seven minutes.

After some trickery by winger Matt Morton won the Hes East side a corner, and the subsequent inswinging set-piece could only be parried by James goalkeeper Andy Balzan into the feet of Langwith's lone striker Andy Hutt. The forward made no mistake as he slotted the ball into goal off the far post from six yards.

The game was now a much more even affair, but James were still producing the better chances as Freddy Ferrao was denied by Cheshire.

Langwith had some good spells on the ball but they often lacked creativity in the final third of the field. Regardless, they produced a good chance after a quarter of an hour when a long ball from Cheshire found Morton behind the James defence; his cross was knocked onto Hutt at the far post but his shot was dealt with the goalkeeper from a tight angle.

The game continued to play out reasonably equally with James producing more chances, but they often lacked a final ball. Rather deservedly, however, James retook their lead on the half hour mark. James Briars found himself in space 25 yards from goal; his perfectly-weighted shot flew blissfully over a helpless Cheshire, creeping in just under the crossbar.

Once again, Langwith looked to react quickly in order to get back into the game. A free-kick from Matt Jones on the half-way line found the head of Ahmed Abubaker; the ball looped over the goalkeeper, who was in No Man's Land, but thankfully for him it also looped over the crossbar.

James had the last look-in on at goal before half time; Jopson again forced another athletic save from Cheshire and the parried save was nearly put into goal by Briars in the ensuing goal line scrap, which was eventually cleared.

The second half started just as the first half had finished as James continued to produce more shots on goal. In the early stages, Alhasan fired over the bar, whilst substitute James Spilsbury forced another good save from Cheshire.

James continued to take more and more control of the second half and they finally found a third goal on 64 minutes. As Langwith pushed for an equaliser, their full-backs were finding themselves further up field, leaving holes for James to exploit on the break.

Jopson broke down the right and his low shot across goal was firmly met by the right hand of Cheshire and the ball was cleared for a corner. That led to an ugly scrap in the six-yard box but the ball was eventually tucked in by James' captain Ralph Gill.

And James almost added a fourth goal from a corner five minutes later. An ball towards the far post was out of Cheshire's reach, but Gill's touch on the ball could only come back into play off the post.

With a comfortable two goal lead, James continued to control the game until the final whistle whilst the central-defensive pairing of Gill and Callum Elliot kept any chances of a Langwith resurgence at bay as the Hes East side began to tire.

After the match, a pleased but rain-soaked James captain, Ralph Gill, told Nouse: "I thought it was a very difficult game today; the conditions were very difficult. But we had five freshers in our team and they slotted in and filled their roles perfectly. We had innumerable chances in that game, but Langwith are looking good this year - I think they were very organised, a strong outfit, and I think they'll do better than they have in previous years. But I'm very happy with the result!"

Langwith captain Marcus Campbell reflected on the game positively: "We've had some really good freshers, a lot of them played well today. I think we ran out of energy by the end; they're a very good side with lots of good players but I'm proud of our team - a lot better than Langwith last year."

James: Balzan, Payne (Spilsbury), Elliot, Gill (C), Woodman, Sangha (Baker), Alhasan, Murison (Bedisha), Ferrao, Briars, Jopson

Langwith: Cheshire, Benney (Parsonson), Pickersgill, Starling, Henn, Morton (Hemmingway), Campbell (C), Jones, Pegg (Sarrafan), Abubaker (Okusanya)

Man of the match: Andrew Jopson

Chris Cheshire Posted on Wednesday 30 Sep 2020

Love you Mr Fennelly. Death to York Vision.

James Spilsbury Posted on Wednesday 30 Sep 2020

For future articles, my name is spelled "Spilsbury"... with one "L". Thanks.

Kris Cheshire Posted on Wednesday 30 Sep 2020

@Chris Cheshire - I only agree with half of that statement.