Freshers Lifestyle Freshers

MTV Student of the year 2013 Christian Cargill

Christian Cargill has done it all. Student drama, student media, serial RAG-er, social butterfly. Here he imparts wisdom from three years of student success to Laura Hughes.

Page 1, object 191 (X)

What sort of student are you at university - why do you think you were picked as student of the year?

I guess I'm pretty pro-active at university; I get bored easily so I like to keep myself busy. I think I was chosen as I like to do a lot of things outside of my degree; I'm social sec for our drama society, head of presenting for the TV society, have my own radio show but also still like to keep a pretty good social life. I think my enthusiasm for doing as much as I can at uni was pretty key for me being chosen.

How was your Freshers' week at Newcastle?

I loved freshers, although it amazes me now that I actually made any friends considering my dreadlocks and hideous beard at the time...

There has been lots of hype about comments such as 'its not rape if its freshers week'- what advice would you give to girls (and guys) about hopping too quickly into the sack...

I think it's important to make your intentions clear to people on a night out and just try to not get so drunk where you may end up in a situation you don't want to be in. Wearing a t-shirt that says 'Fuck me I'm a fresher' also might not help...

Page 1, object 193 (X)

Advice to a student about to start at uni?

I honestly think the most important thing as a fresher is to have the confidence to be yourself and not pretend to be something you're not, like a lot of people try and do. In the first few weeks it's also important to get to know new people - everyone's in the same boat so don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger.

Most outrageous moment at university?

I remember back in first year there was an incident where a pig's head ended up in our bath on my corridor in halls... That was pretty bad. I'm still not actually quite sure how that happened...

What is the worst thing you can do as a fresher?

I think the worst thing you can do as a fresher is get too drunk and make a fool of yourself in front of a load of people you don't know. A friend of mine from halls didn't make it out on the first night of freshers and was found passed out in a pool of blood with a lift door trying to shut on his head... I think that's getting it pretty wrong.

Do you think there is still a 'lad' culture at universities? Is it something you have experienced?

I think there's definitely still a lad culture - a lot of people have gone to university straight from school and I think it's always pretty obvious who hasn't quite grown up yet...

Three words to describe your mantra for life?

Do it anyway.

Strangest thing ever said to you at uni?

In first year a girl claimed that my hair had to have been a wig and actually tried to start pulling out my hair.

Biggest issues facing students today?

House music. If you don't like house it can be pretty tricky at uni at moment. That and student fees.

How can students at York apply for next year's competition?

All the details on how to apply for MTV Student of the Year can be found on the website.

Keep checking it for the updates on how to apply for 2014's competition.