Fashion Trends Shows Muse

LFW: Day 1 Roundup

The shows, the fashion and the people. Izzy Ashton reviews her first day at London Fashion Week.

SONY DSC

It was a drizzly, grey first day at Somerset House but the fashion folk were out in force. The atmosphere was buzzing as the world of international fashion descended on London (with dogs in tow in the case of one magazine editor). I kicked off with the RTW showrooms, were crammed full of new and wonderful creations, both clothing and accessories. A wall of sunglasses at Linda Farrow made me feel like a child in a sweet shop, but it was Danielle Romeril's bubble-wrap inspired collection was one of the best I saw (Review and interview here). The shows of the day at Somerset House were Daks and Christopher Raeburn (interview from way back in February), both of which were a lesson in artful summer dressing.

Daks was a beachy wonderland, lots of turbans, chunky jewellery, jet black sunglasses offset with sleek minimal hair and glowing skin. A few Celine-like checks peppered the looks but the palette was mainly a neutral one, perfect for those evenings by the sea.

SONY DSC

Christopher Raeburn was a lesson in chic dress for the desert (should you ever find yourself there). Buttoned up jackets, big rucksacks and figure hugging dresses in dark blues, browns as well as a glimpse of delicate patterns in red and blue. Centre partings and low ponytails took this look from tourist on holiday to lady on a mission.

So there is my day 1 in a nutshell, an exciting start to what promises to be an amazing (if rainy) week at Somerset House.