Fashion Fashion Features Trends Shows Web Exclusives Muse

LFW Review: Danielle Romeril's SS14 Collection

Izzy Ashton meets designer Danielle Romeril and reviews the SS14 collection.

SONY DSC

Walking into the RTW Emerging showroom at Somerset House, the first designer to catch my eye is Danielle Romeril. Dressed head to toe in her own SS'14 collection, the Irish designer characterizes her brand. Bright whites contrast with blacks and turquoise with the emphasis heavily on texture, as it was in many of the shows seen at NYFW this year. This is Romeril's third collection, having worked previously for Amanda Wakely and then in the studio of Alberta Ferretti.

I managed to grab a few moments with the designer asking her about her inspiration behind the collection and the craftsmanship that went into making these pieces. Romeril cites bubble wrap and sticky tape as the main influences behind her collection as well as two cubist artists, Albert

SONY DSC

Gleizes and Mainie Jellet. The fabrics are Italian and have a slightly starchy feel to them that give the clothes structure when worn both on a hanger and on a body. She took a collage approach to the fabrication of each piece for example looking closely at a sheer top, you will find hand crafted panels of lace perfectly off set against the bubbled fabric. The darker pieces have sections of bright turquoise that updates black for summer months.

SONY DSC

It is a collection that is based on texture and the idea that clothes can look 3D and also very chic at the same time. I leave Romeril sorting through the rail of a cleverly designed collection that slips very nicely into its own little niche in the fashion world. I for one am extremely excited to see where she goes next.

Check Danielle's work out: online, on Twitter, and on Facebook.