Sport Comment Web Exclusives Sport

Verdict: The Transfer Window

As the Premier League gets ready to return after the international break, the Nouse Sport Team deliver their verdict on the summer's business

As the Premier League returns following the international break, the Nouse Sport team assess which teams have done the best (and worst) business now that the transfer window has shut and their squads are fully assembled.

Dan Holland - Deputy Editor

Liverpool did well to keep Luis Suarez. Image: agmcat
Liverpool did well to keep Luis Suarez in the transfer window. Image: agmcat

Winners - Liverpool
Some shrewd incomings with the likes of Kolo Toure, Victor Moses, and Simon Mignolet, though how well-judged their overseas signings were remains to be seen. Most important, however, is that Liverpool kept hold of Luis Suarez - and given their highly impressive start to the season, the Reds could be very serious top four contenders once the Uruguayan returns from suspension.

Losers - Newcastle
Only one loan signing (Loic Remy) added to a squad that struggled last season and was in need of more substantial reinforcements. Joe Kinnear's laughable return as Director of Football has been nothing short of disastrous, and it's incredibly hard to believe that Alan Pardew genuinely believes what he has said in this bizarre statement.

Dead Cert - Simon Mignolet
Proved his class at Sunderland last year, his early season form at Anfield has been impressive following a £9m move early in the window. The Belgian will only improve as a goalkeeper, and will no doubt form a key part of Brendan Rodgers' very promising Liverpool side for years to come.

Gamble - Dani Osvaldo
Southampton broke their transfer record to sign the Italian, and will be expecting a substantial goal return for such heavy investment. But Osvaldo is temperamental and somewhat unpredictable; how he will fit into a side already successfully spearheaded by Rickie Lambert remains to be seen.

Flop - Samuel Eto'o
A fine player in his day, but a spell at Anzhi will have done him little good (aside from his bank balance). The likes of Rooney and Falcao represented the kind of world class striker Chelsea's squad is crying out for; surely Eto'o is no longer in that class, though I suppose it was worth taking a chance on a free transfer after other deals failed to materialise.

Bargain - Darren Bent
It still seems odd that Villa boss Paul Lambert would freeze out a player of Bent's proven goal scoring ability. With this loan signing, Martin Jol has found a reliable partner for Dimitar Berbatov and Fulham will surely pick him up permanently next summer.

George Barrett - Sports Editor

Winners - Manchester City
Out goes the dead wood and in comes some exciting fresh talent. Carlos Tevez really didn't want to be there, so it was a good thing that City let him go, and in comes some exciting new names for the Premier League, with Negredo and Jesus Navas the stand out signings. Although City payed a lot for many of their new boys, that is to be expected of them these days with all the limitless funds they have. Expect big things this season.

Losers - Manchester United
On the other side of Manchester, United really had an almighty shocker this season. Yes they managed to sign Fellaini at the last minute, but he was a last resort and lacks the creativity that United so desperately need. Added to that, another left back would have been nice.

Dead Cert - Mesut Ozil
What a buy for Arsenal. Finally they have bought someone of note, though they could have done it significantly earlier. Though Ozil was not in as good form last year as he has previously hit, Arsenal will surely benefit from his experience at the very top of European and International football. A great deal.

Arsenal's dramatic late signing of Ozil was the highlight of deadline day. Image: sama093

Gamble - Dwight Gayle
Palace splashed out a decent sum of money on a man who was playing non-league football not so long ago. Did well at Peterborough, but whether he can translate his energetic and pacy play to the Premier League and replace the contribution of Wilfried Zaha is far from certain. We'll see if he can deliver.

Flop - Stewart Downing
It's a good thing that Liverpool has rid themselves of this man, because he was never much use for them. West Ham could have spent their money better elsewhere, but at £6 million, at least they haven't wasted too much money.

Bargain - Kolo Toure
The former Manchester City man came free and so far has proved himself an excellent buy for Liverpool. Whilst this old head is no longer in his prime, he has experience winning trophies - something Liverpool are somewhat short of at the moment.

Aaron Stennett - Deputy Sports Editor

Winners - Everton
Despite losing Marouane Fellaini on deadline day, Everton managed to pull off some fine bits of business on deadline day. They kept their prized left back Leighton Baines, taker of most of their set pieces, whilst adding Romelu Lukaku and James McCarthy, ensuring the fans see that their new manager Roberto Martinez has the full backing of the chairman and board.

Losers - Manchester United
Did very little to silence the boo-boys in the media about the shaky transition from Sir Alex to David Moyes. They looked inept as they were continually snubbed by elite midfielders from around Europe. Had to settle with a player who will certainly add steel, but not the creative spark that they have lacked in early matches this season.

Dead Cert - Erik Lamela
Though the more cultured and affluent neighbours Arsenal stole all the headlines with the last-gasp capture of Mesut Ozil, Tottenham can rest assured that in Erik Lamela, they have grabbed a winger who help them forget the woes of the Bale saga, sooner rather than later.

Gamble - Victor Wanyama
Wanyama, at £12 million represents a significant outlay for Southampton. Touted as a player destined for one of the bigger clubs in the league, it remains to be see if he can handle life in the Premier League, after playing park football in Scotland with Celtic...

Flop - Andy Carroll
Even the £20 million loss that Liverpool made selling on Andy Carroll, does little to make the £15.5 million West Ham paid for him look like decent value. Carroll has never really come near to justifying either price tag, and that's when he makes it to the pitch; he's been seriously injury prone in the last few seasons.

Andy Carroll was never given the chance to make an impact at Liverpool. Image: k1ngk0ng

Bargain - Matteau Falmini
The Italian Stallion has returned to the Emirates and, despite costing nothing, is exactly the type of player Arsenal need. He provides a bit of bite to an otherwise soft and cuddly team, and does not shy away from the leadership side of the game too, relishing the task of ordering the other players around in the recent North London derby. Cheap is cheap for a reason though; Flamini is almost 30 years old.

Thomas Fennelly - Deputy Sports Editor

Winners - Norwich City
Their dealings aren't exactly going to win them anything, but it's certainly going to put them in line for a top-half finish and their plethora of signings will produce a realistic and sustainable step-up for the Canaries. Olsson and Elmander add experience; Van Wolfswinkel and Hooper act as a perfect replacement for the departed Grant Holt, whilst Nathan Redmond looks like a very promising future England international. Delia will be pleased.

Losers - Stoke City
I was torn between this club and Le Toon, but I believe Newcastle have the graft and the current crop of players to bring about survival. As for Stoke, their first biggest mistake in the transfer window was signing Mark Hughes as manager - he's the sort of bloke who could hurt himself with a sponge. As for Stoke's signings...well, name someone you rate as a Premier League player. Even with Peter Crouch (the only exception) they're doomed.

Dead Cert - Alvaro Negredo
He's a proven prolific goal score and he's already started to demonstrate that this season. I think he will be incredibly reliable for Manchester City. The fee will rise to around £20 million and I certainly wouldn't pay any more for a 28-year-old, which leads me nicely to my next choice...

Gamble - Roberto Soldado
Sticking with the theme of 28-year-old Spanish strikers, the ex-Valencia man has proved to be a good penalty taker but not much else. Yes, I know its early days, but when compared to Negredo, Soldado looks inferior and less comfortable in the Premier League - despite costing over £6 million more. And scoring twice against the Georgian champions isn't noteworthy, before you ask.

Flop - Willian
Maybe the inner-Spurs fan within me wants him to fail, who knows. But with such a large squad at Chelsea, the Brazilian will struggle to build a decent run of games and become first-choice. And he's not worth £30 million, so he won't live up to the hype of the price-tag and every will hate him. He's not even worth a medical.

Soldado's contribution to Tottenham will be under scrutiny. Image: Carlos RM

Bargain - Kolo Toure
Signing this proven, experienced centre-back for zero pounds and as many pence is not only a deal but a steal. He's 32, but he's a reliable international and, should he remain fit, he'll be a great addition for Liverpool's leaky defence. He'll also, thankfully, break the pairing of Skrtel and Agger, possible the ugliest center-back pairing in the history of football.

Jamie Summers - Sports Reporter

Winners - Tottenham Hotspur
It is unconventional to argue that Spurs are the winners given that losing their best player allowed their closest rivals to strengthen their own squad. However, having an unhappy player in the squad can never be a good thing, and the Lilywhites sold Gareth Bale for a world-record fee. AVB has added some genuine quality and with Spurs still having a strong squad, they look good value for a Champions League spot.

Losers - Hull City
I still believe that Steve Bruce will guide his side to safety this season, but his task hasn't been made any easier by having missed out on Shane Long at the 11th hour (literally). Hull's Achilles heel last season in the Championship was scoring goals and they may find the same issue in this campaign. Chairman Assem Allam also tried to sell their identity down the river.

Dead Cert - Mesut Ozil
Although he cost Arsene Wenger an eye-watering £42.4 million, the German midfielder is one of the best number 10's in Europe and could just be the spark that Arsenal need in their side. He has provided the most assists in Europe in the last 3 years. The Gunners have been through a tough period of selling their best players in recent years, but this signing suggests they are on the up once again.

Gamble - Adel Taarabt
If Taarabt consistently demonstrates the extent of his ability, then this is one of the steals of the summer. However, all too often at QPR and Tottenham he was simply too lethargic. Coupled with Dimitar Berbatov, Fulham possess one of the potentially most talented yet lazy attacking combos in the Premier League, but if they click then Fulham will coast. However if they don't, Martin Jol's side might just be in a spot of bother.

Flop - Fernandinho
I dislike the way some sides recklessly spend huge transfer fees. Fernandinho is undoubtedly a very good player, but I am yet to be convinced that he is worth the huge £30 million price-tag City paid for him and I don't think he will live up to that at the Etihad. Money doesn't tend to be a problem for City, but getting good value for it is something that should be of concern to them.

Bargain - Romelu Lukaku
I'm not sure if I'm cheating in choosing a loan as a bargain; if I am, then I'll go with Kolo Toure, who is an absolute diamond of a find for Liverpool. Anyway, back to Lukaku. Everton have done well to sign a player on loan that was integral to West Bromwich Albion's success last season. Add in managing to offload Marouane Fellaini to Manchester United for a huge £28 million and Everton have one brilliantly in this window.

Lovatt Posted on Sunday 26 Jan 2020

Alan Pardew couldn't sign his own name. Nobody wants to come to Newcastle because it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

PaulF Posted on Sunday 26 Jan 2020

'after playing park football in Scotland with Celtic...'
So playing incredibly well against Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Cardozo, Emineke, Pirlo, Vidal in the greatest club football competition in the world is considered park football? Quality journalism right there.