Web Exclusives News Freshers

Seann Walsh announced as Comedy Night headliner

Seann Walsh is to headline this year's Comedy Night during Freshers week, making a return after his first performance at York in 2011

seann walsh

Seann Walsh is to headline this year's Comedy Night during Freshers week, making a return to campus after his first performance at York in 2011.

The show will be presented by Romesh Ranganahan, while Sara Pascoe will support him on Sunday October 6.

The event has already sold more than any other Comedy Night held by YUSU and will be one of the talking points of Freshers Week alongside Live and Loud and Viking Raid.

YUSU President, Kallum Taylor commented on the announcement:"This looks like it's going to be a really, really good night. We've got here, three quality, nationally recognised acts, at a sound price too. Central Hall will be buzzing!"

The Brighton comic has been moving his way up the circuit since 2006.In 2009 he received praise when he was named as the Leicester Mercury Comedian of the year. This was followed by other accolades including Chortle Best Breakthrough Act Nominee in 2010 and Chortle Bets Compere Nominee in 2011.

Last year Paul Foot headlined, after Walsh appeared in 2011 and the YUSU Comedy Night has attracted big names in recent years, notably Simon Bird who performed in 2009.

Walsh has supported names such Stephen K. Amos on his 'Find the Funny' and 'The Feelgood Factor tours', and also appeared at the Reading and Leeds Festivals in 2010.

The comic has received widespread support from critics, being described as a "Sharp, creative observational comedy from a precocious newcomer" by the Sunday Times while Time Out magazine said he had "the looks, gags and charm to become something quite special, Walsh is this generation's Dylan Moran."

In 2012 he began a tour of his 'Seann To Be Wild' show beginning at Edinburgh Fringe and his show at this year's festival, 'The Lie-In King' was well received by critics.

Several Freshers expressed their excitement at the announcement on Twitter while the comic can also be seen on stage below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl75v7ufBxY

Elisabeth Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

As far as I remember, Sean Walsh didn't actually turn up in 2011...