Web Exclusives Freshers

Freshers guide to becoming a BNOC

Alex Donaldson offers some tongue-in-cheek advice for anyone who fancies themselves as a future Big Name on Campus

YUSU President and BNOC-in-chief Kallum Taylor.

Helena Horton, Kallum Taylor, Ron Burgundy. Immortals. They ride on the wings of gold, encrusted geese high above the common student in their unrecognisable husks. Some of you coming freshers may not simply be satisfied with the vie de quotidian of the average fresher. You may be one of those rare individuals destined for campus divinisation....and if you seriously agreed with that, your ego probably guffawed at the notion that you could ever be confined to just University stardom. But that'll be for future political journalists to analyse.

Of course I refer to the intangible title of Big Name on Campus, aka BNOC. Here I will to lay bare the different ways in which you too can gain such privileges as: prolonged awkward eye contact with strangers, inaudible drunken remarks on a night out, and the occasional mention in campus media.

The fastest way to gain rapid attention at York is to pull up a chair to the Cuban missile crisis that is the feminist debate. You then have a choice, agree or disagree. The secret being that it honestly doesn't matter either way. No one actually cares, just so long as you plaster your name and vague opinion on every social media site and minor publication available. Don't forget to abuse those who disagree with you, however slightly, to within two human rights acts of genocide. Eventually everyone will forget that you wanted to ban V Bar baguettes because they were a phallic symbol and just remember that you were the face of all that fuss. #BFEM

If you're gifted enough to be able to use your unnecessary MacBook's keyboard in 4/4 time, you could become a DJ. No one else has thought this ever. You could even establish your own independent, never before seen, club night playing deep house vibes until everyone gets kicked out of Mansion because they got bored and tried to sneak into the strip club. However you then run the risk that it will be your alias, 'Materialistic-Dubdick' that gains notoriety, not you. Never mind, once you open Big D everyone will know just how seamless and klaxon-filled your crossovers are. #BDJ

Do you have the stamina of Mo Farah, the leadership of Jose Mourinho and the muscle definition of Madonna? By becoming any sort of university sports captain (except Ultimate Frisbee) you'll undoubtedly be seared into the minds of all who serve under you. Especially if you made them shove a Twix up their arse during Rugby initiation. #BDSM

If you just so happen to be white and privately educated, pretty please do pursue a line in student politics. It's basically like becoming a superhero. You should wear a ridiculous outfit. But rather than a cape and shiny pants try a denim jacket with scarf and too tight trousers - freshers don't worry you'll get that once you see your student president. York students are too thick to read manifestos, so don't worry about your politics, just legally change your name to a highly recognisable, middle class brand, get their logo up everywhere and you'll be YUSU President in a day. #BJACKWILLS

You could go for social blitzkrieg and hold as many positions of authority as possible. The less you leave for everyone else, the more fame you'll gain. So what if you're the LGBTQ-Welfare-Bar-Willow-Kuda-Revs- Fetish-Merchandise-Chair-Captain. That's more than your chump flatmates have ever achieved. #BBUSY

Own a shirt with five or more different patterns and colours? Aroused by the raised eyebrows towards your 90's Will Smith freshness? As long as your cheek muscles are strong enough to enable 24/7 pouting you won't ever have to actually say a word. You and your tie die, corduroy dungarees can bask smugly in your vintage glory. #BEL-AIR

Go for the BNOB approach and sleep with as many people as possible. If enough people catch your own particular brand of chlamydia then they're bound to know your name. All you need to do is hit Willow around closing time every night with a pre-booked taxi.

In the end, if all else fails, be that guy who got scurvy. #BPIRATE

15 Comments

YUSU Bastard Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Who the hell is this kid, trying to impersonate me?

Nice try, but no cigar buddy. Kids these days.

#Tryhard Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Despite getting gradually worse, not bad. Maybe less hash tags next time.

Helena Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Horton 1 - Haters 0

Pheobe Smith Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

DONT FORGET PHEOBE SMITH! #BNOC

The Mighty Oosh Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

YOU USED PEOPLE'S ACTUAL NAMES IN THIS ARTICLE.
BAN IT NOW OH MY GOD AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Tahir Shetty Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BNOC

Nuff said.

The King Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

The only way to become a BNOC is to join UYRUFC....Durrr!!!

Anonymous Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

I don't remember making anybody "shove a Twix up their arse"
I believe it was a Mars Bar.

Tahir Shetty needs to leave Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Seriously, didn't you graduate two years ago?

Conan lover Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Conan osborne #bnoc

Who? Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

UYRUFC = 2.2's and failures.

If you fit the bill, get in line and join!

World Police Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

The kid's got balls. I like balls.

what Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

Why the hell did you start this artcle by describing horton as a bnoc?

S.FOX Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

#fox4noc

Brian Cantor Posted on Sunday 25 Aug 2019

You missed me out in this article. I am well and truly gutted. Thought I'd done enough to seal the deal. #BrianBantorforstardom