Societies Archive Web Exclusives Freshers

Societies Guide: Faith and Religion

Faith societies are a great way to meet people who share your beliefs and find out about places of worship around York.

There is no society devoted to campus waterfowl, but they are undoubtedly close to the heart of many York students; Credit: Tom Witherow

Faith societies are a great way to meet people who share your beliefs and find out about places of worship around York. They are a chance to openly discuss questions and issues you might have as well as creating a great opportunity to take part in a whole range of activities from BBQs to film screenings. Often people find coming to University a bit daunting and these societies aim to really offer a sense of community. All the societies listed below welcome anyone, from strong believers to those who simply want to learn about the world around them.

Agnostic & Atheist Society

A forum to represent the views of students without religion and open up discussions with others, hoping to bring people together by providing an environment that promotes free thinking debate on a range of topics with weekly meetings, film screenings and speakers.

Anglican Students' Society

AngSoc supports those students at the University in their faith, providing a good basic network of people to turn to when you first arrive. They encourage new members and seek to promote a better understanding of their beliefs.

York Atheist Secularist and Humanist Society

York ASH is a forum to represent the views of students without religion, and open up discussions with others. They hope to bring people together by providing an environment that promotes free thinking debate on a range of topics with weekly meetings, film screenings and speakers. The society also campaigns on secular and humanist issues in conjunction with similar minded societies.

Catholic Students' Society

Cassoc, or the University of York Catholic Society, describes itself as "one of the friendliest societies on campus". Their aims include expanding their knowledge of their faith to help strengthen this religious relationship and thus solve day to day issues which affect them as students and Christians.

Islamic Society

Islamic Society aims to represent all Muslims on campus, as well as bring together all those from other faiths and those without a faith. The society has discussion sessions about their faith. They also organise socials and lectures from guest lecturers. Such events aim to educate Muslims and non-Muslims on the Islamic faith, and help increase the awareness of Islam on campus.

Jewish Society

Jewish Soc is for Jews and non-Jews, no matter what your religious affiliation. They hold socials in the form of barbecues and lunches a few times a term for students to meet each other and learn about the Jewish religion.

Quakers on Campus

A group for anyone interested in Quakerism, its core principle of that of God in everyone, and its testimonies to peace, equality, truth and simplicity. We have no formal creed and see faith as rooted in personal experience.

Find contact details of each society on the YUSU website

Have we missed your society off, or does your society's profile need updating? Email muse@nouse.co.uk to update your listing.