Societies Archive Freshers

Societies Guide: Media and Publishing

York is known for its award-winning publications, and whether it's TV, radio or print media, York is punching well above its weight in national competitions.

Student media is a great way to get involved with the goings on of the university as well as channel a specific interest. In York there really is something for everyone ranging from TV, to radio, to music, to politics, sport and fashion. York is known for its award-winning publications, and whether it's TV, radio or print media York often cleans up in national competitions. Whether you're looking to make your first step on the career ladder or just fancy having a go at presenting you'll always be busy with these societies. Many offer great socials too! (An obvious shout for Nouse socials obligatory at this point!)

Circulation
Circulation is a termly music-dedicated magazine, featuring interviews, reviews and other music-related journalism. The society hosts events, has its own radio show and members DJ on campus and around York. If you're a budding music journalist, DJ, artist or plain music fan then this is the place for you.

Diorama Online Magazine Society
A new online film publication raising the status of film criticism at the University whilst allowing students to write expansively on what they love, whether it be international, American or British cinema. They also plan to showcase examples of student filmmaking, establishing a platform for budding directors.

Hardzine
Hardzine emerges once a term as a themed issue. HARD was created by a small team built on the pillars of fashion, art, music and film. Whether you want to be a model for shoots, a music journalist, PR guru or creative director get involved!

The York Inklings
The York Inklings are a creative writing society. We hold weekly meetings involving a variety of writing games and exercises, a chance to share your work and bounce ideas off each other, and plenty of time to just sit and write. We welcome writers of all kinds, whether you prefer poetry, stories, scripts, or something completely different.

Nouse
If you're reading this you may already have an idea what Nouse is. Nouse is the oldest society on campus. Established in 1964, (so we're approaching our 50th birthday). If you're interested in writing, journalism or photography, then you may want to get involved in the most read student newspaper at the University of York. We release an edition three times a term, including sections on news, science, politics and sports. The paper also includes a magazine supplement with arts, music, film and more. Read here for more information on getting involved.

So, err... This is us (May 2013 edition)

The Lemon Press
The Lemon Press is a satirical magazine released once a term on campus. It offers a comical look at
current affairs using creative and humorous writing. The magazine is written by students for students, but there are also opportunities for graphics and animation designers as they expand their society.

The Looking Glass Anthology
The Looking Glass is a creative writing anthology, run by student for students. They select the best student-written poetry, drama, and fiction and publish it every year for distribution across campus.

Spark Magazine
Spark is the university science magazine. They publish once a term, with articles about research being conducted by scientists at York and beyond, and educational and moral issues in science.

University Radio York
University Radio York is the oldest legal independent radio station in Britain. In 1968 it hosted a one-off broadcast from Sir John Peel. Broadcasts go out every day from 9:00am-01:00am. You can get involved in daytime and primetime chat shows as well as specialist news, speech, and music programmes.

York Student Television
YSTV is a television station run entirely by students at York. They broadcast online and around campus, and often live at events such as Election Hustings and Roses. They have won many awards for their broadcasting. If you've got television or media ambitions, or simply just want to get involved in television and learn what happens behind the scenes, then YSTV would be a good place to start.

Circulation Magazine (above) had a stage at YO1 Music Festival in the summer, which amongst other things involved men and women in vintage clothes dancing with gas masks. Credit: Isaac BD

York Vision
York Vision is one of the two campus newspapers written by students. They release an edition three times a term and cover a wide range of sections and issues, both on campus and in the wider world. Like any newspaper, there's the chance to work in any area, such as writing, editing or photography.

The Zahir
The Zahir - taken from the Arabic that which is visible or manifest - is the University of York's cultural magazine, publishing articles on film, music, politics, arts, literature, or really anything you're interested in.

Find contact details of each society on the YUSU website

Have we missed your society off, or does your society's profile need updating? Email muse@nouse.co.uk to update your listing.