Web Exclusives News

York campus awarded the Green Flag

The University of York has been awarded a Green Flag by the Keep Britain Tidy charity in recognition of the quality of its landscaped green space

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

York's 500 acre campus was awrded green flag status Photo Credit: Petroc Taylor

The University of York has been awarded a Green Flag by the Keep Britain Tidy charity in recognition of the quality of landscaped green space across campus.

This is the first time the 500-acre parkland campus has been awarded the status and is one of 78 sites in Yorkshire and Humberside to win the award for 2013/14.

The award measures a range of criteria including cleanliness, sustainability and conservation. This is in stark contrast to York's Green League ranking of 109th in the UK, where it received a 'Third' based upon their environmental management and performance.

Gordon Eastham, Grounds Maintenance Manager at the University commented: "The campus is a beautiful space which provides a green haven for staff, students and local residents."

He added: "The University of York is one of only a handful of universities to achieve Green Flag status which recognises the quality of the landscape and the hard work that goes into maintaining and developing it. The campus is a great place to spend time and we encourage the Heslington and University communities make the most of the resource on their doorsteps.

"The award also recognises the fact that the campus is also an important wildlife habitat, particularly on Heslington East where we are creating wildflower meadows, wetlands and woods. There's evidence that although the landscape is not yet fully matured, we are having increasing success in attracting birds such as the Little Ringed Plover, Skylarks, Lapwings and Oyster Catchers."

In 2013 around 1,450 parks, gardens, allotments and cemeteries flag across the UK have been given the green flag, and were picked by 800 expert judges.

Keep Britain Tidy's Green Flag Award manager Paul Todd said: "It's another record-breaking year for the Green Flag Awards and this is something well worth celebrating."

He also commented on the region's growing number of green flag sites: "It is fantastic that Yorkshire and Humberside now boasts 78 winning sites - meaning more people than ever before in the region can play, relax and enjoy quality green space on their doorstep."

Latest in Web Exclusives