Societies Archive Web Exclusives Freshers

Society in Focus: The Norman Rea Gallery

With exhibitions every three weeks and the university art collection to look after the Norman Rea Gallery is the centre of campus art and curation. Lily Grant explains.

Photo Credit: Lily Grant
Photo Credit: Lily Grant

The Norman Rea Gallery is a professional, student-run art gallery on campus. The gallery put on at least three exhibitions per term and source professional artists from all over the country. The main gallery space can be found above the Courtyard in Derwent, however, this year, they're expanding to a couple of areas in the new Heslington East campus, and are may be putting on an exhibition at the York St. Mary's contemporary art gallery in town.

The gallery offers a great opportunity for those who are interested in working in the art world, with a variety of positions available on the committee, such as director, graphic designer, treasurer, press and publicity and many more! If joining the committee doesn't sound like it would be for you, Monday night openings are attended by the artist and are accompanied by a (free - every student's favourite word!) drinks reception

The gallery has been newly renovated this Summer. With an exposed ceiling, black out blinds and spot lighting, the gallery is a striking space. The committee have a number of fantastic exhibitions lined up for the coming year. With a wide range of media, from sculpture, painting and photography to video and installation work - there is something for everyone. Come along to the first exhibition of the year on the 7th October at 7pm for a collaborative, video and installation exhibition, interesting company and, perhaps most importantly, free wine! The Gallery will be putting on an interactive art piece in Freshers' Week in the outside space by the Courtyard, definitely one to keep an eye out for.

The Facebook group is great for updates on upcoming exhibitions and website has pictures of previous exhibitions and information about future ones.