Music Music Reviews Muse

Bangers and Mash presents the Festival Spotlight: Eastern Electrics Festival

Rory Foster previews the Bangers and Mash launch of Eastern Electrics Festival.

Over the last year we've seen the student-run Bangers and Mash go from strength to strength. This time of the year in 2012 the team were a little surprised just how many people they could bring to Fibbers with the promise of a bit of House, Garage and Electro. Since then they've brought Eliphino to Tokyo and performed at YO1. Now, teaming up with the electronic music festival Eastern Electrics, the boys are taking it one step further by bringing the very special XXXY to York. But before this event I'd never even heard of Eastern Electrics, and so decided to find out a little bit more about what it is, and what they're doing this Summer.

easternelectrics-7.22.2012

For those unaware, Eastern Electrics Festival is an event taking place in Knebworth Park, Hertfordshire. 3 nights and 6 stages will host acts such as Maya Jane Coles, Blawan, Richie Hawtin, Bicep and Joy Orbison amongst many many more. The lineup is pretty powerful and I really can't do it justice here, but any fan of the scene will be very excited to listen quality DJs until 6am for two nights in a row (and until 10pm on the Sunday). It's nice to see a wide range of promoters being involved and due to the number of stages, plenty of choice over the weekend. As if festival nature, the main option is to camp although day tickets and hotels are available. I've got in my head a mix between the warehouse project and creamfields as the vibe, but I imagine to get a fully rounded idea of what it'll be like, you should probably head there yourself.

xxxy_110911

Now back to York, and Monday night at Tokyo. Rupert Taylor a.k.a XXXY has been making big waves since 2011. His release "Ordinary Things" picked up the valuable accolade of being a Pitchfork best new track and ever since the blogs can't stop lapping him up. He's been lucky enough to go through the Red Bull Music Academy, released a couple of EPs including one out this year on Rinse and is now due to play round the world's Summer festivals. Diehard XXXY fan Tom Waghorne had this to say of the man himself:

"I love XXXY. He's a great addition to a Bangers and Mash Night and we can't wait to hear his set tomorrow. He's going to shake Tokyo to the very core. Anyone planning on hitting Tokyo after tomorrow should probably check that the club's not been reduced to rubble".

A few years ago getting someone of XXXY's calibre would have been extremely improbable. Thanks to the hard work of the York alternative music scene we're seeing better and better nights being put on across many genres. So for those of you with a disposition for house, Bangers and Mash are presenting XXXY in accordance with Eastern Electrics this Monday night at Tokyo. For more information go here. We'll see you on the dancefloor.