Football College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Brough brace defeats Derwent

Two goals from George Brough and a Ben Bugeja free kick were enough to see Alcuin thirds through to the Vase semi finals at the expense of Derwent fifths

ALCUIN THIRDS 3-1 DERWENT FIFTHS
Vase Quarter Final

Images: Agatha Torrance

Derwent fifths made College Cup history when they set foot on the JLD in the final fixture of Tuesday afternoon, as they became the first fifths team to qualify for the Vase in the tournament's history.

In an entertaining display of football that saw two philosophies go head to head, Derwent's slick one-touch passing play allowed them to draw first blood through a Dan Braham header, whereas Alcuin's skilful and pacey dribbling allowed them to eventually take the win through a Ben Bugeja free kick and a brace from striker George Brough.

The opening scenes of the match saw little in the way of chances as both teams settled into their styles of play in midfield. Derwent looked the most optimistic through their quick build-up plays, but the first real chance of the game came when Alcuin captain Bugeja forced a fine, low save from Derwent keeper Ellis Sidley.

After a quarter of an hour, Brough narrowly missed an opportunity to give Alcuin the lead. Centre-back Jon Carney's penetrating runs from deep were proving very successful, and he made it all the way to the by-line before crossing in from the left at a tight angle. The ball bounced nicely at the feet of Brough, but he could only scuff the ball into Sidley.

From the resulting break, Derwent broke the deadlock. The ball was launched up field and Derwent won a throw-in on the left side in line with the edge of the D. The throw-in was taken quickly and Braham was allowed to flick a looping header into the goal past a helpless Alcuin goalkeeper Michael Thurloway.

Alcuin reacted immediately and it wasn't long until they found their equaliser. On the 12 minute mark, Bugeja's alluring and technical run through midfield drew a foul from the Derwent defence. Bugeja stepped up to take the free kick which stood to the right of the Derwent goal - with one fatal swoosh of his right foot, the ball flew into the top left-hand corner from 25 yards.

The Owls could have the taken the lead shortly before half-time when Bugeja dinked a beautifully weighted cross onto the head of Dylan Chambers just in front of goal, but the right-sided midfielder somehow managed to send his header over the bar.

In the second half, Alcuin continued to keep Derwent quiet by maintaining possession, recognising their prowess in the working the ball up the field quickly through the middle of the pitch. It didn't take long, however, for Alcuin to take a deserved lead.

Once again, the ever-influential Bugeja picked out the forward run of Brough on the edge of the D. The striker headed the ball forward over the onrushing Sidley, allowing him to run on and fire into the empty net despite being under considerable pressure from Derwent centre-backs Jack Tooth and Robin Hartley.

Despite looking good in possession, Derwent rarely threatened in front of goal; Carney was also doing a fantastic job in leading his defence and intercepting any ball within his reach. Derwent's best chance came ten minutes from time - but Braham's header at goal only found its way into the the arms of Thurloway.

From the resulting play, Alcuin gave Derwent a taste of their own medicine when they hit back on the break, allowing Brough to find his second goal of the afternoon. The ball was dinked over Derwent's defensive line and Brough used his pace to latch onto the through ball and lob Sidley with perfection to make it 3-1.

In the dying stages of the game, Derwent came the closest they had to scoring all half but in the form of a shot on their own goal. Nick Bearn tracked back from midfield to intercept another ball to Brough, but in doing so he inadvertently sent the ball flying towards goal; the defensive midfielder will certainly be owing his goalkeeper a drink after the game as the shotstopper was forced into an athletic save

The talismanic Alcuin captain, Ben Bugeja, told Nouse after the game: "[the free kick] was good! I don't usually take free kicks so I'm just happy it went in! Every single player up front played well, they made chances and George [Brough] put his away but they all worked brilliantly... We should give whoever we play in the next round a good go".

Derwent captain Tom Mumford, who came on as a second-half substitute, had mixed feelings about the result: "We didn't play our best today, but we're all really proud for getting this far. We should have won; I think we had the better squad".

Alcuin: Thurloway, Bentham, Carney, Taube, Quintana, Chambers (Nixon), Bugeja (C), Armstrong (Slice), Page, Pearce, Brough

Derwent: Sidley, Stenborn (Bhatia), Barker, Tooth, Hartley, Bearn, Cheesborough, Deneny, Booth (Mumford (C)), Richards, Braham