News

Facebook group shows York students like a different sort of shag

An alternative 'rate your shag' Facebook group has been set up in the name of carpet appreciation.

Images This article has had its images hidden due to a legal challenge. Learn more about images in the Nouse Archive

A University of York student has set up a Facebook group celebrating a different sort of shag. The 'York uni rate your shag' page which contains posts of various carpets with innuendoes posted alongside them was made in response to the backlash against the 'University of York: Rate your Shag'.

Posts on the page include 'The mighty J.B.Morrell library. Good shag or bad shag?' and 'How dirty do you like it?' next to a photo of a carpet with a upturned drinks can.

Rory Foster created the group. He told Nouse, "It seems as though York Uni forgets to have fun quite a lot of the time. This is definitely something I've noticed for a while, and kinda gets me down. Perhaps it was the 8 hour library stint that put me in a somewhat bizarre frame of mind, but posting pictures of carpet seemed like the right thing to do to cheer things up."

Pages similar to the original 'University of York' page, now removed, have been set up at other universities such as Portsmouth and Derby. "At the end of the day, it gives lovers and haters of the shag pages something they can laugh at or ignore at their discretion. Unless sex-wild students take offense at comparing their stories to bits of carpet, it's not offending anyone either."

The condemned 'University of York: Rate your Shag' encouraged students to rate and name past sexual encounters, carrying the tagline 'Name them, shame them and if you must, praise student's sexual conquests'. The page drew a number of posts, including one from Rhys Hayes saying 'I think you ought to be, quite frankly, ashamed of yourselves. Sex is a private affair.

Commenting on the new 'York uni rate your shag' page, Kristen Roberts, a second year student said, "the response from students has been great, it's a hilarious retaliation to such a ridiculous group and so much more York. We're hardly winning in the Uni sex table".

The 'York uni rate you shag' page had over 1800 'likes', with the group drawing appreciation across social media. Facebook has now blanket-banned all 'Rate your Shag' pages, unfortunately leading to the York parody also being taken offline as of Tuesday evening.

Latest in News

12 Comments

FN Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

@Laura Hughes
Nouse is going downhill rapidly with these crappy non-story articles, please sort it out.

Simon Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

@FN http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3rew1j/... Exams getting you down?

Jan van Eyck Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Facebook _page_ is ace, and it just so happens that Rory Foster has a lovely voice like room temperature Brie on his radio programme. But I also agree with "FN" a bit.

lad Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

Oxbridge reject writing crap as per. Non story, people need to lighten up and get over themselves

bad lad Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

@lad, getting people to 'lighten up' was the exact point of creating the Facebook page. Nice one.

The Pieman Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

Barry is a legend

John Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

You've taken most of what Rhys Hayes said out of context. Not only did he say it was a private affair but he also said that reducing someone to a statistic based on how good they are in bed is dehumanising and offensive. I'm glad someone stood up to the page before it could really take off.

Punderful Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

This is the most mileage I've ever seen out of a simple pun.

Distraught Posted on Tuesday 28 May 2013

The page appears to have disappeared? How will I satisfy my love of shags now? :(

Rory Posted on Wednesday 29 May 2013

I'm afraid the page was removed for "bullying". Facebook blanket banned them all I think.

Anonymous Posted on Wednesday 29 May 2013

They've banned it because one of the carpets was actually a blanket.

Helena Horton Posted on Thursday 30 May 2013

This whole thing makes me feel sick.