Fashion Trends Shows Muse

Catwalk to High Street: The Roaring Twenties

Izzy Ashton takes inspiration from the catwalk shows to bring you the flapper girl look on a high street budget.

00350big_426x639_1

"Can't repeat the past?" Gatsby cried incredulously. "Why of course you can!" In terms of fashion, this line from F Scott Fitzgerald's timeless classic could not be more appropriate. Arguably the most fashionable decade in history, the 1920s has come back into fashion in a big way. There are those who may shy away from the era's more daring night time outfits but this problem can be overcome for day with some fantastic twenties inspired accessories. Boys, also take note. Nothing looks better on a man than a well-fitted suit and the roaring twenties was the era of bespoke. Look to Leonardo DiCaprio in the new Gatsby film for your ultimate wardrobe inspiration.

helenmoore.com
helenmoore.com

The catwalk show with the most obvious links to 1920s glamour was Ralph Lauren, whose tasseled, sequined dresses were the garments of dreams. Lauren designed the costumes for the 1974 Great Gatsby film and it seems as though he revisited his earlier designs for his show. Work this trend by wearing an extravagant collar over dresses, accentuating cheekbones and keeping you warm at the same time. This faux fur number from Helen Moore is perfect for looking chic on those chilly summer nights.

asos.com
asos.com

The decor of the era was excessive: feathers, sequins and beading covered evening dresses in exquisite patterns. Gone were the corsets and heavy dresses of centuries past. In were the drop waists, looser fits and glimpses of skin, something women embraced. The silhouette of the dress was fairly boyish but this was offset by the femininity of the dress itself. Etro has a more contemporary take on the embellished dress. Keeping the drop waist shape, fresh colours and deep V-necks updated the look for the modern woman. Look to ASOS for Art Deco decoration: their needle and thread midi-dress should help you to be well on your way to becoming a 21st century flapper girl.

riverisland.com
riverisland.com

Gucci produced the most beautiful evening dresses for their Spring/Summer 2013 collection. A little shorter than the original flapper dresses, the black and gold shimmering masterpieces were accessorized simply with dark smoky eyes and plenty of sex appeal. If this look sounds a little too hot for you to handle, get to the high street for some gorgeous sequinned tops. Wear with black jeans and a fierce pair of heels to gently work your way into the trend. fierce pair of heels to gently work your way into the trend. This River Island tank top is just the item of clothing that has been missing from your wardrobe: perfect for those evenings that aren't quite summer...but getting there.

hatsandcaps.co.uk
hatsandcaps.co.uk

This trend is not just for women. Having seen the latest Gatsby film, I can safely say that I would like every boy I know to channel the 1920s Brooks Brothers suit catalogue. If this thought is a little daunting to those of you who live in trainers and a t-shirt day in day out, work your way into the trend by rocking a hat. Men in the 1920s did not leave the house without one and, as summer approaches, the straw boater is just the accessory all of you should be wearing to those BBQs down by the lake. Hatsandcaps.co.uk have the best pick of the bunch so you could even invest in a fedora at the same time. For a quirky touch, add a brightly coloured ribbon around your hat band to attract very welcomed attention.

So here it is, the Gatsby guide to getting dressed. May it be feathered turbans, a simple drop pearl earring or a pocket-handkerchief, make sure you dress to impress.