Football Top Sport Story College Cup Web Exclusives Sport

Late Wentworth comeback not enough as Langwith win

Two goals in the last ten minutes from a tough Wentworth seconds side nearly completed a dream comeback for the postgrads, but Langwith's 3-0 lead after half-time was enough to see the Hes East side secure the win

LANGWITH FIRSTS 3 - 2 WENTWORTH SECONDS
Group A

Images: Agatha Torrance

Two goals in the last ten minutes from a tough Wentworth seconds side nearly completed a dream comeback for the postgrads, but Langwith's 3-0 lead after half-time was enough to see the Hes East side secure the win.

The opening few minutes of the game were very even as both sides looked dangerous in the final third, however it was Langwith who drew the first blood after seven minutes of play.

A clever one-two move from Luke Holbrook and Matt Morton down the left-hand side moved the ball to the edge of the D. Morton knocked the ball inside for Sam Woodall, who found no room for the shot so he played the ball further back to Andy Hutt - his first-time shot flew straight into the bottom corner.

Langwith continued to look dangerous as the pace of Morton, Woodall and Hazell proved testing for the Wentworth defence; the latter side's only chances were coming from Dave Clinton shots, but he could only direct them straight at Kris Cheshire.

On the quarter of an hour mark, Langwith deservedly doubled their lead. Kieron Hazell made a piercing run through midfield before sending Morton through on goal, who provided an easy, low finish past Wentworth's stand-in shot-stopper Selahattin Kosunalp.

Langwith continued to look the most promising until the final five minutes of the first half. Clinton was put through on goal and the ball sat up nicely for the volley, but pressure from man-of-the-match Tom Hughes meant Clinton's volley was sent narrowly over the bar.

Wentworth nearly found a goal before half time when Michail Rossonis broke down the right wing; his pass inside was well intercepted but the ball came back to him and his shot forced a good save from Cheshire.

From that play, Langwith went up the other end and furthered their lead as Andy Hutt played in Woodall, who picked out the side netting at the far post in style. From their most promising play of the half, the postgrads now found themselves 3-0 down at half time.

In the second half, Marcus Campbell pinged a spectacular effort off the post, whilst Morton also missed two very good chances from close range. Wentworth, despite the deficit, continued to create chances through Clinton, but tight defending from Langwith centre-backs Tom Hughes and Tom Pickersgil meant that he was having a torrid afternoon.

After 49 minutes, Morton nearly found his second goal when a trip from Wentworth's Gerard Ekembe Ngondi allowed him through on goal. Morton's following shot forced a routine save from Kosunalp, but the follow-up shot from substitute James Hopkin forced him to produce a much more agile save.

Three minutes later, after a spell of Wentworth pressure, they finally found their first goal. A cross from Mutlu Cukurova could only be flicked on by the head of substitute Jon Cook but it fell perfectly for another substitute, Josh Mangham, to fire a shot across and into the goal at the far post.

With only a few minutes left, Wentworth piled on more pressure as they attempted a miraculous comeback. Iain Parker pushed the scoreline even closer when another flick from Cook bounced across the box to Parker, who deflected the ball past Cheshire with some help from the near post.

Wentworth continued to pile on the pressure as they searched for an equaliser, but a final chance never came. Hutt, for Langwith, nearly found a second goal just before the final whistle against the run of play; his lobbed shot from the left-hand side beat the goalkeeper but it came back out off the crossbar.

A disappointed Wentworth manager, Dan Howdon, told Nouse: "After a horrible opening ten minutes, I thought we did really well. It's the first time our entire defensive line have played together...[and] I thought the football we played was very good; but I can't deny that they deserved to go 3-0 up at half time, but we had them really rattled after we scored two. I'm pretty confident going forward; we'll at least qualify for the Plate - that's the minimum objective".

The Langwith captain, Matt Jones, was overjoyed with his team's first win this year: "We were really dangerous-looking going forward, we looked really slick but we could have had a few more than we did. We were looking nicely in control, everything was good, the fans were loving it having a nice time. And then last ten minutes we just switched off a bit; we don't really know what to do with ourselves when we're winning. But we held on, got a nice win, so we're going to go out on the lash".

Langwith: Cheshire, Holbrook (Hannah), Pickersgil, Hughes, Alari, Morton, Hutt, Jones (C), Campbell (Pegg), Hazell (Hopkin), Woodall.

Man of the match: Tom Hughes

Wentworth: Kosunalp, Townson, Parker, Franks, Ekenbe Ngondi, O'Connor, McGuire (Langan), Cukurova, Rossonis (Cook), Kourvelos (Mangham), Clinton.

Man of the match: Nick Townson

Andy Hutt Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Sorry Chesh, but in the interest of fairness and for those few fans who picked me for their teams I'd like to ask for a correction to the match report/fantasy football points.

For Sam Woodall's goal, the assist was provided by myself after Marcus Campbell expertly picked me out in midfield.

Good report though, other than this minor mistake which obviously matters far too much to me.

Dan Holland Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Thanks Andy, I'll amend that now.

Tom Fennelly Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Apologies again from me, blame Chesh and Matt! Their clarification of assists after the game didn't help!

But well played today. Made my revision much more interesting.

Chesh Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

The fan that picked me is not going to be happy.

Shocked Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

What?! Langwith have won a game? When was the last time they won? 2 years? More?

unsurprised Posted on Thursday 22 Oct 2020

Not-at-all-misrepresentative fact of the day:

In last year's college cup, Langwith 1s only lost one game in 60 minutes - to the eventual champions, Vanbrugh 1s.